Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Opinions on mud room bench width?

Posted by minneapolisite (My Page) on
Fri, May 18, 12 at 11:25

Approximately how wide does a bench need to be for two people to comfortably put on / remove shoes simultaneously?

I'm assuming the number is different if the bench is walled in vs having open space on either side.

(I'm still hacking away at my floor plan and want to make sure I don't hack TOO MUCH off the bench widths.) :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Opinions on mud room bench width?

In my experience, and this is just in my house--in the 6 yrs that we have had this house, it is a constant battle to keep the benches cleaned off enough for anyone to sit on. I don't plan to put this feature in my next house. One less place for clutter to collect.

I have 3 cubbies/open lockers. Each cubby is 20" deep and 24" wide. More than adequate for adults or children.

It sounds like you're getting there.

o

Thanks @red! Sounds like your bench is 6 feet wide? If it were clean (haha) how many people could realistically put their shoes on at the same time? :)

o

A commonly used width for space for a seated person is 24". Whether or not the ends are closed in this is still a pretty good estimate - seating two people side by side, even on a standalone bench starts feeling tight if you go down below 42" (or 21" per person).

o

Yes. But, most people when sitting, are sitting still with feet on the floor. Not the case, when putting on shoes. I'd add another 6" to each adjacent seat. If you only need 2 people at one time, 60" ought to be plenty. If there will be 3 benches, and 3 all at once, then maybe only 84" (I would think the space might get used like urinals---rarely 2 side-by-side unless alternating ones are full...)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here