Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
logastellus

what to do with a huge boulder on our lot?

logastellus
10 years ago

We have a piece of what I think is granite that's about 7ft wide and 4-5ft deep on our lot.

Any good ideas on what to do with it??

We can have it simply dragged out and dumped elsewhere but seems like a waste.

I've seen other chunks of broken granite laying around, it's not a very pretty granite, to be honest. Dirty white color, something like that.

Comments (22)

• lyfia
    10 years ago

Sounds more like limestone in your color description, but without seeing who knows. Limestone is a softer rock than granite.

You could always use it in your landscaping. Maybe break it into three pieces.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Unless it's in a really bad location you could just plant around it. Ivy and succulents that would grow over it.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Landscape around it or have it blasted into several pieces you can remove.

Picture?

• logastellus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good point re: picture, will take today and post.

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

Why not incorporate it into a landscaped area consisting of some hard stone materials for tables and chairs, some landscaped areas and some outdoor lighting? Can you match the stone for random, individual stone paving with ground cover between stones?

Good luck with your project!

• logastellus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@virgil - that's a good idea.

Do you all think it'd be possible to shave off the top on-site, to turn it into a table of sorts?

Its shape is like an arc rotated around a horizontal axis. Took a picture but can't find it.. grr..

will go back.

Or perhaps prop it up on its end, so it's like a standing rock type a thing? concerned it'd topple down, though..

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

"...blasted into several pieces you can remove."

Or use expansive concrete to break it up after drilling holes.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Plant a liquid-amber tree next to it. The roots will tear it apart, but the sorry side effect is, you will NEVER get rid of that tree! It will send suckers throughout your entire property!

I know! We cut one down, only to watch it destroy huge boulders with it's suckers!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

You reminded me of the story of my father and grandfather who bought an old farmhouse that didn't have a basement. So they started digging a basement under the existing house....shovel by shovel, bucket by bucket. Well they got so far and they came across a giant boulder...I mean huge. What to do? You can't blast it without blasting the house with it. You can't dig it out as you can't get it out from under the house. Trying to break it up by hand would take a life time.

So they dug a huge hole next to the boulder and rolled it in. Only thing is, given the irregular shape, there was a little bit of boulder that stuck up. We played in that basement as kids and always saw this little hunk of rock that stuck up through the concrete floor and never knew why.....

• allison0704
    10 years ago

I have a similar story, Annie. When my parents built their current home (almost 28 years ago), when they were blasting for the basement storage rooms one blast revealed a huge boulder. I was just in the room this week with my dad - it's really neat looking.

Back to the OP, I would probably want to work around it with landscaping. Hope you can post a picture.

• logastellus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pictures:

zoomed in:

• allison0704
    10 years ago

I think it's pretty neat, and would work around it.

• User
    10 years ago

I'd work around it too. I think it is beautiful. If you need to have it dragged to a better spot for your landscaping, that's fine....but I think that could be spectacular with some landscaping around it.

• logastellus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ok, so the census is to keep it. Fine, we're keeping it. :)

any ideas on what the heck to do with it? leave it prone? Prop it up?

we can drag it anywhere. Drag it to a corner someplace maybe?

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

You could ask the landscape forum here on garden web, garden forums. I'm sure they will tell you where to drag and what to plant around it. They are good at that!

They like pictures over there of your house from the front sides and back so they can tell you exactly where to drag it and make it seem like a huge architectural feature!

We have a ton of granite boulders, some 16' high, on our hillside, and I even asked our contractor if he could cut one into slabs for the kitchen counter, but that was a no go;-(( Evidently the granite used for counters has spent centuries underground and has been pressed by the weight of the earth into a solid mass. Ours isn't so solid. If a root could split it, it's not suitable for a countertop. Bummer!

We do have a vineyard, and several fig trees, and both of those love the sun above and the coolness underneath the boulders, so we surround ours with edible love!

Good luck!

• lyfia
    10 years ago

That is not at all what I pictured in my mind from your description. I think it is a pretty granite for landscaping. Here is a google image search for boulders in landscaping. Might give you some ideas

Here is a link that might be useful: Boulders in landscaping

• User
    10 years ago

If you drag it out by the end of your driveway, you could prop it up and have your house numbers sand-blasted into it. It could be a beautiful way to identify your house!

• logastellus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

patriceny - nice, I like this idea!! very unique.

• ibewye
    10 years ago

My children's elementary school has a huge boulder that sits just off the road and next to the bus drop off. You can donate a dollar and rent the boulder to paint or decorate for any occasion. At first I thought it was crazy but I was completely wrong. The kids love having their birthday announced on the rock and the artwork that gets displayed every morning is amazing. Most times the parents surprise the kids by painting the night before and watching their reaction in the morning, the money goes towards pto events like carnivals, dances, etc...
    Funny backstory, it was her first pto meeting as we had just moved to town so I think she was trying to make friends. She comes home and explains the idea about the rock, I laughed it off and said good luck with that. She started laughing and informed me that somehow I had volunteered to somehow find and deliver a giant rock to the school. Bear in mind I have no rock, truck, or backhoe. Luckily we called the County Highway Dept and shamed them into helping out, they said they came across them all the time and would gladly deliver next time they came across one. Maybe something to consider.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

It's large enough that it may be worthwhile splitting in 2 and sometimes 2 smaller boulders work better in the landscape than one single large one...you could plant them with the split side down so the natural sides remain visible.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Looks like common grey to grey-pink granite in the pictures.

I like the sandblasted house numbers, if you can get the stone to cooperate. Or drill holes and mount the numbers on it.

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

Although it's sort of a pain to you right now - I think it's a pretty cool discovery. We don't run into anything like that around here. I hope you post back what you end up doing with it.