Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
three apples - mortar search

Posted by athensmomof3 (My Page) on
Wed, May 9, 12 at 10:59

Not sure if you are still looking at mortars but we are winding up and had the hearth put on our outdoor fieldstone fireplace. They used gray mortar. It looks awful. They are going to take it out and replace the mortar, but in this discussion my builder suggested light buff mortar. I had never heard of it but it seems like what you are looking for - darker than ivory buff and lighter than buff.

Hope this helps.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: three apples - mortar search

Hi there. So sorry to hear your project didn't work out the first time. I'm with you on not liking gray mortar. We are still on the search for mortar, though at least now we have the brick chosen. I'll mention the light buff to the mason and have a mock wall built with that when we get closer. thanks for the info. P.S. I went with the brick you happened to like most, which I believe was used at your alma mater.

o
RE: three apples - mortar search

I do love that brick.

This is the zillionth redo on things throughout the build but my builder is insistent on getting it right. It is a stacked stone fieldstone fireplace so no visible mortar but they used the fire rated mortar (which is gray) to put the stone up and just used it on the hearth as well (which is 3 pieces of fieldstone with a chipped edge) - so it is just the two joints in the hearth and what is behind the hearth. Apparently an easy fix though - they just chip it out and replace it. They do have to replace the center piece because it is not the same color as the other two . . . and just redid our steps into our house from the garage because they didn't do them the way my builder wanted them. These masons have been busy!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here