Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brick vs Hardi?

Posted by gaonmymind (My Page) on
Sat, May 12, 12 at 10:59

Would you pay more for all brick or be ok with hardi with brick water table/ basement walls?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brick vs Hardi?

I'm a brick girl, through and through...but I suppose it depends on the style of your house. What did your architect draw for the elevation?

o

I am not a brick girl - even though I am building a brick house! That is why I painted it! Hardi and shingles didn't work with our ARB and the style of house I wanted - it turned my house into a farmhouse (which I would have loved but they hated).

There is some maintenance involved with Hardi though so you have to factor that into the cost.

o

Hardi and brick are priced pretty comparably here. So for us, it depended on the style of house. Hardi worked for our house style much better.

o

Well he originally planned the house in all brick. Then I changed it to a mix of hardi with brick water table.

He can change it back if I want him too. I need to see what the cost difference will be but I suspect it will be 15-20k extra. Not sure in this economy if I want to tack that cost to my house if it won't bring a higher resale.

o

We are having the same question in our re-build (due to a fire).

Our original house had a brick front and vinyl siding on the sides and back. We were interested in upgrading to brick all around, but the incremental cost (approx. $50K) is making it prohibitive. We will probably go with brick on the front again with Hardi on the backs and sides. We will also use the space for some additional insulation behind the Hardi (rigid foam board).

o

When bidding out our siding(Nichiha fiber cement)we had the most up charge on how and what the windows were trimmed out with. So using brick mold around windows with brick offset the cost of more elaborate Azek trim around windows with the fibercement boards.
We assumed going with FC was going to be less but the mason who is doing our stone work said it could have been a wash or pretty close due to trim costs. At least in my area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here