Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katieob_gw

Heart Pine Flooring~Finish Question

katieob
14 years ago

Hi all.

We are having heart pine floors (10 inch width, random lengths) installed throughout most of our new home.

The plan is for one coat tung oil followed by 3/4 coats of water based poly in a satin finish.

Relevant info: We have young babies and a large yellow lab.

Do you agree with this plan? Please let me know.

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• perryrip
    14 years ago

Katieob,

I have an ash hardwood floor 3.5" in width and two boxers. They have gouged the hell out of the wood wherever I don't have a throw rug. Ash is between red oak and white oak in hardness. I think you'll suffer some serious scratching and gouging in your heart pine.

perryrip

• carterinms
    14 years ago

We're using waterlox on our heart pine. I believe that it will be easier to touch up than poly is. We're going with a satin finish. You might try a search on the flooring board.

• acountryfarm
    14 years ago

I have antique heart pine with a poly finish. I would have done tung oil in a heartbeat if I didn't still have 7 children at home.
    I am not sure the poly will help a lot but it will some.
    I love these floors and am so glad I went with them even with the dents & dings.

stepahnie93-- tung oil was the traditional finish for pine floors way back when & it is a beautiful look.

• housewitch
    14 years ago

I understand why people use tung oil. But what I don't understand, and I think this may also have been stephanie93's question, is why anyone would do both tung oil and poly. Will water based poly even adhere and cure properly over a tung-oiled surface?

Katieob, I would seriously consider running this plan by someone local with lots of experience in finishing wood floors. He or she will be best able to tell you what works and what doesn't.

• katieob
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for your responses!

The reason we were thinking of tung oil followed by a water based poly is b/c that is the finish on the floors in the showroom that I loved. I would love to do just tung oil to bring out the beauty in the pine, but I am too chicken & need the poly as a safety net. I was told I had to use a water based poly over the tung oil as an oil based poly wouldn't adhere. I need to check out the water based "greying" over time. That is alarming!

Oh, the kids/dog issue was a damage concern, not a health concern. Although if they do damage these floors, their health could be a concern..kidding.

I do appreciate the feedback & will check on the greying problem.

Thanks!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

Find the tech line for the water based poly manufacturer. Get one of their chemists (not the person who answers the phone) to tell you that their product will adhere to tung oil. I would bet that they will not give you the okay. The two products are very different animals.
    Casey