Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stvbrown2184

Building a new house on pilings

stvbrown2184
10 years ago

I am in the process of making an offer on a lot. I want to build a house on pilings there. Does anyone have experience doing this. My main question is how much extra does it cost to build up? Looking at building a 1600-1800 3/2 house. Nothing fancy, just pretty simple. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (16)

• worthy
    10 years ago

Depends why you're using pilings. Instead of a full or crawl foundation? Or because you're in a bog. Or, as I did once, on fully exposed bedrock of the Canadian Shield. A lot simpler than blasting!

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Where and why do you need the pilings?

If houses on pilings are common in your area it will be less expensive than if they are rare.

• renovator8
    10 years ago

A pile is a long slender foundation element mechanically driven into the ground to reach more stable soil located below the level of a conventional foundation.

Perhaps you are thinking of a pier foundation which would be slender and placed in an excavation at a conventional depth and tied to other piers at the top.

The relationship of a wood framed structure to the ground is critical. If it is low, the structure that supports the walls must be concrete and designed to resist movement of the ground. If it is high, closure, insulation, etc. of the space below the house must be addressed.

Such foundations are not often used for permanent habitable structures and are often prohibited by building codes.

If you tell us the reason for an unconventional foundation we could help you more.

This post was edited by Renovator8 on Sun, May 26, 13 at 7:26

• User
    10 years ago

It's a common construction method in the MS Gulf coast region where possible Katrina level floods have to be taken into consideration and homes have to be built above that possible flood level. You can end up with some real bayou shack looking homes, and some pretty interesting well done seeming two story designs. You aren't allowed to close in underneath unless you have lower breakaway walls. No plumbing can be there, so most people end up using it as a shaded patio or garage space. You still have the soil stack to contend with so it can sometimes look like a mushroom unless care is taken to integrate that better.

Yes, surprisingly, MS allows wood for support posts instead of concrete.
    {{gwi:1441967}}
    {{gwi:1441968}}

{{gwi:1441969}}

{{gwi:1441974}}

• renovator8
    10 years ago

A house built on pilings can be at grade or raised above grade. Until the OP tells us the purpose of the pilings it's difficult to offer design assistance.

• Mitchell S
    8 years ago

Hi... It doesn't look like stvbrown2184 ever provided additional details, and I have a similar situation. The pilings I am considering are to be used on the Gulf coast and are for hurricane and flood related purposes. I'm not sure how deep I need to go but I'm guessing 15' to 18' is what I'll need. Can someone tell me a ball-park figure for wood and fiberglass/composite pilings? I'm looking at a 1080 sq./ft. footprint with 2 stories. Like the original, questioner, it's nothing fancy. Thanks so much!

• PRO
    Brandi Lazarus' Sacred Space
    7 years ago

I have similar questions. New home being purchased, built in a riparian area next to the creek. I saw one other home close by built on stilts (pilings?) it is in a 100 year flood plane so.. the thing is, it's in Arizona and we have this crazy soil called kaleechi (sp) does anyone have any experience/ideas on this? We want to tear down the current home and rebuild. Considering options.

• User
    7 years ago

Local advice from an architect is the most valuable input that you can receive. Write a check.

• Tuyen Nguyen
    6 years ago

Can anybody tell me where I can get the floor plan for pink house shown above. Thanks

• Anjana Banerjee
    5 years ago

This is a beach home in the Carolinas.

• User
    5 years ago

Happy new year!

• hollyfr
    4 years ago

no answers here :-/

• SOOZE DE
    3 years ago

I think its wierd when people write answers that aren't answers. I dont get it. Is it for the thumbs up or something? I'm looking for information - and there were only a few in this whole stack. Curious....

• millworkman
    3 years ago

"I'm looking for information - and there were only a few in this whole stack."

If you are looking for information you may want to try posting a question?

• PRO
    Level Construction
    2 years ago

im doing one right now.