Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmrbound

Almost final plans - main level

Kathy Harrington
10 years ago

Here is the main level. The hot deck faces west towards the street and the lower level garage and basement line up under the deck, kitchen and living area

Comments (9)

• zone4newby
    10 years ago

If you would post all your plans in one thread (you can reply to your own post) that would make it easier for people to comment on the plans as a whole.

• Kathy Harrington
    Original Author
    10 years ago

how do I do that? Doesn't it become too long?

• zone4newby
    10 years ago

When you post your reply, either use the html image tag (take out the spaces on either side of ) or click on the "choose file" button and upload it.

It will make the thread longer, but easier to follow because all the related images and info are together.

• Kathy Harrington
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok Trying to put it all together .
    Lower Floor:

Main Floor:

Upper Level:

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Ah, this is the thread that should be referenced in your other 2 posts (include this one as a link, and ask for feedback at this thread).

Okay.

Just first thought. The hallways appear narrow, long, and with a lot of corners to the master bedroom for second home/retirement home equipped with an elevator. Normally, a home this well thought out for a retirement home, would have hall spaces and door ways large enough to accommodate a wheelchair. It is difficult to tell, but how wide are your hallways, and doorway (particularly into the bedroom)? And, do you have a large enough area in the master bathroom?

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

On your upper level, it seems straightforward. I'll tell you what I don't like though--that long narrow "walk-in" closet.

This is a second/retirement home. What will that walk in closet be used for? Long, narrow walk in closets aren't that useful/comfortable of a space in a normal residential home, but I can't see this space being very useful AT ALL in a second home. It will end up being "storage" and a long narrow space isn't a nice space for storage. Try carting a crate of stuff from the far end to the door.

Any chance you can make it a normal reach in closet? I know why you didn't--so you had a bed wall, but maybe you can put the closet along the stair wall?

I guess I'd ask yourself how you plan to use that closet space, and if that closet is useful in that sense.

• dadereni
    10 years ago

LOWER LEVEL: Consider more window area for more light for your basement rec room. Do you need a door for both the storage area and under the stairs, or could these spaces be combined?

MAIN LEVEL:
    -Foyer seems a bit tight on the interior, especially with door open and a group is entering/leaving. An open stair railing would help make this space seem less compressed but I think you need another 2ft or so of depth, or the door could move off center.
    -The master bathroom needs more space around the fixtures, especially the sinks. Might address this by removing the toilet compartment or stealing a foot from your master bedroom.

UPPER LEVEL: The way the walk-in closets are configured (not double-loaded), you're not gaining much over a reach-in closet. And from your description it sounds like guests will use these. I doubt a guest would need a large closet, or that you would want a guest to stay long enough to justify the closet. Maybe just treat it like a hotel room: a minimal (less than 4ft wide) reach-in closet with rod; a chest of drawers; and a luggage rack.

This post was edited by dadereni on Thu, May 30, 13 at 12:49

• mrspete
    10 years ago

I love all the great windows -- you'll have so much light in essentially every room.

The other side of that coin, however, is that the corners that allow space for all those great windows also create a super-complicated footprint and roofline. This means it'll be extremely expensive to build -- that is, you'll be paying much more for the square footage than someone who builds a more simple design. I can see numerous places that you could simplify the perimeter without sacraficing windows.

The living room seems very crowded with furniture -- not that you'd end up with that very furniture, of course. I think a large, streamlined sectional scooted up into the corner would look nicer than the sofa plus four chairs.

The office is small, but I like its efficiency.

The angled walls near the master bedroom add nothing to the house, but they're going to be expensive to build.

The master closet is the same size as the bedroom. Between that and the adjacent laundry room, you're devoting more space to clothing than to your bedroom. Is that appropriate for your wants?

Since you have a first-floor master, why build an elevator? It's an incredibly expensive item that looks unnecessary. Why, especially, build it in the middle of the staircase? That staircase is very expensive, and it should be a show-stopper item, a focal feature. Tucking an elevator in the middle of it detracts from its impact.

With all the windows everywhere else, I'd for-sure add a window on the first landing of the staircase. Light cascading over the steps would be very nice.

You could have a pretty good sized closet under that staircase. I'd have the door open into the foyer.

I like the function of the kitchen. Plenty of open space and nicely laid out. I don't like that the pantry is hogging a great deal of wall space, but without major changes, I don't see how to do it better. I think it'd be pleasant if you could have a pass-through between the kithcen and the West Deck -- maybe even a bar-type seating spot where people could sit, and you could hand food through to them. It'd be very nice for kids.

Of course, I see that you have four eating areas: The dining room, the breakfast nook, the island, and the deck. Is this realistic for the way you live?

One thing I don't like is a breakfast table sitting next to a dining room table. Table-table design just looks . . . odd.

• Kathy Harrington
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, sorry for the late reply. It took me a few days to get a reply back, but when I just checked, it never posted. I'll try again. Thanks to all who took time to comment. Your comments were thoughtful and insightful. We took them to heart and made some changes that we thought would work. We rearranged the closets upstairs and made the bedrooms bigger and the closets more efficient. We also increased the foyer space as much as we could without changing the outside walls. We also increased the space between the sinks and toliet by a foot and scaled down the master closet slightly to make sure the hallway was wide enough. It's getting closer and I appreciate all the help. A big thank you to Zone4newby for helping me post the plans and kirkhall for providing a link