Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zone4newby

I wish the weather would give us a break!

zone4newby
10 years ago

We were supposed to have the house completely closed up by now, but between the unending snow in April and the storms in May, we haven't even begun framing. Someone tell me that after the house is framed we won't be stuck with making no progress every time the sky grays up?

I know no one controls the weather, and I'm trying to be patient, but I'm starting to feel like this will never be finished. Yesterday framing was supposed to start, but all that happened was a lumber delivery. There were some storms in the afternoon, but it seems like work could have happened in the morning? I'm hoping someone showed up after my husband stopped by this morning and some of that wood actually starts getting attached to the foundation.

Anyone else building in the upper midwest? Are we the only ones who are stuck like this? I know part of our issue has been that we're building on raw acreage, so the wet weather messed with us more than it would if we were building in a development.

My frustration aside, we haven't had the kind of weather that flattened Oklahoma yesterday. Could be worse.

Comments (10)

• CamG
    10 years ago

I feel your pain a bit, and we're in a development. We got our permit 6 weeks ago but have only had about 7 days total of working weather--for several weeks we had hard rains 4 out of 7 days, making the lot a giant muddy puddle. It's frustrating to see a house that got dug two weeks ago nearby that is already at the same point we are even though we started a month earlier than they did.

We've got to remember, having a house is a very long term prospect, and these couple of weeks' delay won't seem significant in the long term :) Of course, if the mortgage rates jump before we can get the house finished, that's a different story...

• Meg4440Roberts
    10 years ago

We also live in the upper Midwest and have had weather issues.. It's no fun, especially when I drive out every night to look at the progress only to be disappointed again :(. We're in the same boat, our concrete is done for the basement, just waiting for Mother Nature to cooperate so that framing can begin, we are also building on an acreage, which has its disadvantages too.

• frozenelves
    10 years ago

I wish I was feeling your pain. I feel as if we will never get to build. In any case, I am sick of the weather in Duluth this year.

• njasmine1
    10 years ago

I feel everybody's pain with the weather problems. When we started our home we had a three week delay because of weather related things. Everybody just be patience as possible. I know the interest rate plays a big role in this because its trying to rise now.

• flgargoyle
    10 years ago

I had a rough winter here in SC. I'm just one old man, working alone, which makes it a slow process to begin with. We had 3 types of weather this winter- cold weather, wet weather, and cold and wet weather! I'm finally dried in, although the exterior isn't finished yet. It's a great luxury- when the weather is good, on work on the exterior; when it's bad, I work inside.

• LawPaw
    10 years ago

We had just finished excavation and digging the basement when the endless storms started.

The worst part is that the relatively steep hill we are building on is primarily glacial sand. I now have only about 4/5 the fill I was planning on, and I planned my basement dig around how much fill I would have.

It's not a huge problem because I can get the fill from some really good soil that needs to be excavated at the bottom of our hill anyway.

Still frustrated, the cement trucks can only make it when the ground is dry and firm.

• LawPaw
    10 years ago

We had just finished excavation and digging the basement when the endless storms started.

The worst part is that the relatively steep hill we are building on is primarily glacial sand. I now have only about 4/5 the fill I was planning on, and I planned my basement dig around how much fill I would have.

It's not a huge problem because I can get the fill from some really good soil that needs to be excavated at the bottom of our hill anyway.

Still frustrated, the cement trucks can only make it when the ground is dry and firm.

• Renee0829
    10 years ago

We live in MO and were hoping to break ground next month using ICF but who knows what mother nature will have in mind. Last winter didn't hit till Feb. 2013 and then we got 2 back to back 12" each snow storms. We finallly got our 1st & 2nd floor plans from the architect waiting on attic but we are going to go ahead and schedule appts. with builders. I just hope we can get it done before 7/31 otherwise I have to live with my MIL.

• Mora
    10 years ago

I share your frustration OP. We started construction back in March, and we are just now getting the subfloor for the second floor in place. The summer rains in Florida this year were brutal.

• ibewye
    10 years ago

Wahhhh....you think you've got MUD. Check out my front yard before it rained for 3 days.