Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbntn74

Floors are stained...

Missy Benton
11 years ago

Well, I went over to the house to get a peek and they were applying the first coat of satin finish. I LOVE them, especially with the morning sun hitting them! Another big sigh of relief!! Can't wait for this whole thing to be over.

Here's some pictures...1 part jacobean and 1 part midnight mahogany.

Comments (10)

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

The color is gorgeous. Is that red oak? Your house looks like it's coming along beautifully. What does the outside look like?

• Mom23Es
    11 years ago

They look beautiful!! :-)

• chicagoans
    11 years ago

That is going to be one gorgeous house!

• Missy Benton
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! They are 4" white oak.

• threeapples
    11 years ago

very nice, and the rest of your house looks really great too. would you mind posting a photo when the stain is complete? we are trying to decide between white oak, red oak, and maple for a slightly darker finish. great job!

• nini804
    11 years ago

Oh, how pretty! What a lovely color, you did a great job! I am so digging your trim, also....is that your front foyer or another area? Just gorgeous...you must be getting so excited!

• Missy Benton
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Red_lover- Thank you! I will try to get a good picture of the exterior this weekend. Can't believe I don't have one. Nothing to right home about...strict HOA guidelines.

threeapples- Thanks! I will definitely post finished pictures.

Nini- Thanks! The room in the background is actually off the kitchen and I call it my Saturday morning room where I get to read the paper and drink my coffee :-)

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Cubs mom--I'm sure the outside is just as nice as the inside. I'm trying to get ideas, and I love the Saturday morning room idea.

Floors look great.

• Mom23Es
    11 years ago

I wanted to pop in and give you a big thank you for posting all your flooring pics and info. You have been so incredibly helpful! This morning we met with our builder and he laid out a few options for us: prefinished 5" for about 4k more, site-finished 5" for 3k more, or site-finished 4" for no additional charge. Over the weekend DH and I had looked at your floor pics together and read up on cupping (you mentioned doing 4" to help avoid this). The decision was very easy to make this morning. I hope our 4" oak floors turn out as beautifully as yours have. :-)

• Missy Benton
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mom23Es-Your comment puts a smile on my face after a very stressful day (nothing to do with floors!). I did find out the name of the hardwood floor company...and now can't remember. My builder goes through the Michael David design center in Columbus, if that helps. The crew that did our floors was wonderful. Let me know if you need any more information.

As for cupping, I've personally experienced it in our previous house and it is unsightly. I wanted to do everything possible to avoid it, yet still get a wider board. I'm sure many people have wider planks and never experience problems, but more us, it wasn't worth the risks.