Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dimensions of a U-shaped staircase

Posted by frozenelves8 (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 12 at 10:35

Can someone tell me what the dimensions of a U-shaped staircase would be? I want a 4 foot staircase and the ceiling height between floors will be 9 feet. I'm trying to draw it in my plan but want to be exact. I don't use a computer program either. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dimensions of a U-shaped staircase

I think this will depend on how spacious you want it to be...are you looking for minimum dimensions?

o

Yes, just minimum except for the 4 feet wide.

o

With 15 rises at 7 3/16" and 10" treads with a 48" deep landing at the turn I come up with a total length of approximately 9' 10" with a width approx 8'. The specifics of your staircase design will dictate the exact measurement, but that ought to get you close enough for a design concept drawing.

o

Thanks, does that include any wall thickness surrounding the staircase or do I need to add that?

o

Those dimensions would not include any walls --

o

Sweeby is correct - no walls in my numbers. Remember - all any of us can do is give a rough estimate - your plans and staircase design and materials will all impact the final dimensions. Err on the side of caution when allocating space.

o

Thanks everyone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here