Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
To Muntin, or not to Muntin, that is the question.

Posted by whallyden (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 12 at 10:21

The budget is tight and there may be an opportunity to upgrade from Marvin Integrity to a Marvin Ultimate or Andersen 400 if I can find some ways to trim our window order.

One thing I'm considering is dropping the SDLs from the windows on the rear elevation. Thoughts?

Here is a link that might be useful: Elevation & Floorplan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: To Muntin, or not to Muntin, that is the question.

done that way all the time, no issues what so ever with that being done

o

Given your stated goal of architectural consistency and the importance of the muntin pattern to the overall look of the house I'd say definitely keep the muntins. You probably won't like the "blank stare" look of undivided windows given a general craftsman theme to the house.

In our window shopping it seemed like the jump from Andersen 400 or Integrity to Ultimate was many thousands of dollars, while the SDLs were a matter of hundreds for 30-some windows. (Andersen 400's and Integrity's were about the same price in our shopping, and the Integrity seemed like a much better performing, better built window)

o

rwiegand -- Thank-you for supporting my gut decision -- We just pulled the trigger yesterday on Integrity with Muntins all around. Simplifying the pattern from prairie to a 2W1H, replacing a few DHs with fixed picture windows and replacing the Swinging French Doors with Sliding French Doors all helped to save enough to make it work within the budget.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here