Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babykaats_gw

code re Interior stairs from room to room?

babykaats
9 years ago

Hello,
My house burned down a few months ago and we are in the process of planning our rebuild (thank goodness for insurance). Our house was 102 years old, so one of the challenges in redesigning is accommodating code compliant stairs (we have some of the original 1912 blueprints and are trying to recreate as much as possible). We thought we'd come up with a way to fit code compliant stairs in, but now our architect has expressed concern that our attic stair will not comply with code because, as drawn, it is accessed through the 2nd floor laundry room rather than a hall. But, I don't see anything in the code about this. The stair otherwise meets all requirements I can find (width, treads, risers, landings). Can anyone provide insight? (First time poster btw). Thanks very much!!!

Comments (9)

• babykaats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I realized I should clarify a few things. The attic will be unfinished in the rebuild, but we have emphasized that we'd like to finish the attic in the future when funds allow and therefore requested a real stairway instead of a pull down and collar ties that will allow for minimum ceiling height requirements. This must be why architect is concerned (but I will verify with him). Our laundry room is on 2nd floor off the main hall that leads to stairs to first floor. Perhaps the code requirement of terminating stairs at an Exit pathway or public way means that the laundry room cannot have a door that separates it from the hallway? In other words, perhaps if the laundry didn't have a door it would be considered an extension or branch of the main hall? Of course, a doorless laundry room would be problematic with my messy ways... :)

• MFatt16
    9 years ago

Could you leave the door off until after inspection? Then put it in?

• mdln
    9 years ago

Am in a very similar situation and found my village building inspector very, very helpful. He knows well similar buildings, and was able to identify what needed to be changed, suggestions for changes, and what could be grandfathered.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Perhaps the stairs could be positioned at the end of this laundry space so the hall could do a 90ð turn outside of the laundry room? That wouldn't be very good for getting furniture up the stairs, but neither would having to bring it in through a laundry area.

Sounds like the upstairs needs to be redesigned with something giving here. Like maybe the upstairs laundry room? A stacked set in a shared bath might work better than dedicating an entire room to the laundry, even if it's a small room. Post your plan for suggestions!

• renovator8
    9 years ago

If you show us the plan we might find a way to locate the stair better. What will be upstairs? I've used an "alternating tread" stair that is a cross between a stair and a ladder and is code compliant.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

For a single family house building codes are vague about egress paths. Here is all the 2009 IRC has to say about it:

SECTION R311 MEANS OF EGRESS
    R311.1 Means of egress. All dwellings shall be provided with a means of egress as provided in this section. The means of egress shall provide a continuous and unobstructed path of vertical and horizontal egress travel from all portions of the dwelling to the exterior of the dwelling at the required egress door without requiring travel through a garage.

• babykaats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all so much! Renovator8, thank you for posting this cite. I think I was looking through the 2009 IBC instead, which has stricter requirements. I'm so glad you pointed this cite out, because you're right, the IBC does not apply to detached single family houses, the IRC does. I'll point this out to my architect (nicely) and see if we can confirm that a continuous and unobstructed patch of egress does not necessarily have to be a separate, dedicated hallway.

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

Are you planning on putting a bedroom in the attic? That might make a difference.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

In some jurisdictions the IBC will be used for special issues that are not addressed by the IBC but it is up to the building official to determine when that is the case.