Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pirwin21_gw

ICF or Superior

pirwin21
9 years ago

We are in the final stages of planning our build and one big decision that still needs to be finalized is whether to use ICF or SW for our basement walls. I have read a lot of discussion, both on here and at other sites, discussing SW systems. I have two questions. First, is there anyone here without a vested interest in the SW systems that can give me their experience or opinion on them? We also just received our quotes for both systems and the ICF quote is about $4000 more than the SW. Given that info, what would anyone here recommend?

Comments (4)

• anitaladyrose
    9 years ago

My husband and I are planning our build as well. We have decided to go with superior walls as the installation is particularly important from what I have read. We are fortunate enough to have a superior walls location nearby and have received a list of approved builders. I will keep GW updated when the process begins. Best of luck with your new home! We meet with the architect on Friday!

• User
    9 years ago

I've used superior precast in 2 different builds now. I have no complaints, and would use them again if I ever go insane and decide to build a new house again..... :)

The construction process itself was pretty crazy - but in all seriousness, I have no issues with the basement. Superior came in, did what they said they would do, and were out in a day. That part of the process was painless.

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

Now have 10 years with my Superior Walls R-5 installation. Very pleased. Mine are 10' height.
    Had friend do the basement excavation and I used my Bobcat to do the prep for the wall set. Got the "builder book" and made SURE that EVERY detail was per specifications. Not sure that it all would have happened otherwise as the installer wanted to cut a couple of steps out of the process.
    And I personally did the backfill and final grading after the house was built.
    Done correctly, SW is great. Could be a disaster if not done correctly.

• pirwin21
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the advice. I like the idea of SW and they look really nice and will be easier to finish, but I think I have eliminated them from the running based on too many "what ifs". I am now actually leaning towards a traditional poured basement because if there ever would be a problem, it will be easier to get to it and I won't have to ruin the key selling point of it (insulation on icf) in doing so. Also, I am doing the electrical rough in for the basement and am not crazy about the idea of having to cut in the wire and then have little protection for the wire in the insulation. I can also put r-13 xps on the outside and r-19 batts (with a wall) for about $2000 less. Is my logic here sensible? Thanks.