Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bus_driver

Must read this

bus_driver
15 years ago

For your new house, this is crucial. Energy costs are not going to decline.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ductwork

Comments (13)

• sierraeast
    15 years ago

Out here in the desert, most ducts are run in the attic and typically is sheet metal which is good. What's bad is that rarely are the seams sealed or even foil taped. Basically a couple of sheet metal screws at the joints and then the ducting is wrapped with 3/4" fiberglass which deteriorates in the hot attics due to improper ventilation. Same way they have been doing it here since homes were built starting back in the early fifties. Sad.

• emmachas_gw Shaffer
    15 years ago

Thanks for sharing, bus driver. This also appears to be another valid argument for unvented attics in our hot, humid southeast.

• sweeby
    15 years ago

Wow - great article. And I'll need to share it with DH so he can (deservedly) pat himself on the back for his recent HVAC work in our home: Sheet metal ducts with mastic and mesh joints, straight runs, insulation, in an unvented attic with spray-foam insulation and air-channel roof. Our A/C bills were are already half of our friends -- How low can they go??

• jasonmi7
    15 years ago

Good joke, Bus Driver. But April Fools was LAST month!

• bus_driver
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jason, exactly what do you see as a joke?

• energy_rater_la
    15 years ago

It is true that here in La. that R-6 is the ductwork that we install into hot attics. While I would perfer to see the R-8 made manditory, realistically it is a ways off in the future.
    To design the home with the ductwork inside the conditioned space is really what needs to happen. The designers locally seldom keep central install in mind when designing. And this is where it is the most cost effective..in the planning stage. Changes after the fact are more costly and payback is longer. Many times it is a band aid fix at best.
    I've been in homes where you could see the areas on the ceiling where the ductwork was in the attic because, as Paul stated, the ducts condensated and soaked through the insulation on the attic floor.
    Getting installers to understand that there is a reason that ductwork is sized and installed correctly is difficult. For the most part it is just not in their training. To send the crew back to seal ductwork is costly.
    I remember years ago on a/c installer told me " why should I understand air flow?" Sadly in many cases that is the attitude.
    We do a lot of flex here. Usually the hard pipe ducting in near New Iberia & the sugar cane fields. Personally I like flex duct. A well installed flex system can provide good air flow and the thing that makes me happy is that there are only 2 areas it can leak. Hardpipe unless mastic sealed will leak on all seams & joints. Flex will leak at the supply box and/or plenum. Sealing it is much easier, and has less margin of error.
    Good article Busdriver. Thanks.

• kelntx
    15 years ago

Good article Bus! I was wondering what Jason was talking about myself!

• meldy_nva
    15 years ago

POssibly Jason didn't realize that in order to read the article, one must choose to see it in either HTML or PDF.

Personally, I thought the article well-researched and written to be easily understood.

• holyoak
    15 years ago

Okay, what's the secret of getting to the article? I don't see any way to read it once on the Hanley Woods site. I read what Meldy nva wrote concerning HTML or PDF but that didn't help. I am one of those older lurkers who didn't grow up with computers. Thanks Jean

• bus_driver
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I too am old. Once at the Hanley-Woods site, use the mouse to move the arrow/ pointer to the choice of PDF or HTML and left click once. I suggest that HTML is the one to try first.

• meldy_nva
    15 years ago

Give the opening web page a while to load... took about 30 seconds on my computer; then you will see a column that looks like the beginning of the article, but to the left at the bottom of the short column [near the bottom of my screen] will be the words: PDF HTML. Left-click on whichever you prefer, and HTML does load fast.

• jasonmi7
    15 years ago

I clicked on it twice, and both times it brought up the iVillage survey thingie.

• meldy_nva
    15 years ago

Click cancel on the survey thingie [it's sitting on top of the web page]. I got that one time, but before and since the click has directly opened the webpage.

There is no reason for my link to be different, but I'm putting on since it isn't getting the survey.

Here is a link that might be useful: ductwork that works