Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charliedawg_gw

How long does it take for the brick mortar to dry?

charliedawg
16 years ago

I'm wondering how long it takes for brick mortar to dry and show its true colors.

They started putting the brick on yesterday morning and stopped at about 4:00. It looks awesome, I LOVE it. I know that the mortar is going to lighten up substantially when it dries. It will look good lighter too so I'm not worried I just want to know when I will see what it is actually going to look like.

I drove by this morning and it is still the exact same color as yesterday. It hasn't lightened at all. My dh thinks they may have sprayed it down at the end of the day yesterday. I dunno? What's your thoughts?

Thanks!!

Comments (16)

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

It probably depends a little on your climate but in the rainy NW, it took several days for it to lighten and the Mason said a full 2 weeks before you really see the final color. I personally didn't notice much of a change after about 3 days. Ours was went up a very dark gray and now it's really, really light gray.

• txgal06
    16 years ago

Lindy is right that it depends on climate. I am assuming you have a gray or colored mortar. We used white mortar and were told that it would not lighten.

• charliedawg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Our climate right now is a little damp because a passing storm that missed our house. :)

Txgal - we actually just have standard, light gray mortar. We didn't add any color. Thats why I was so suprised that it looked so dark. I'll be happy if it stays this color, it really looks good. But I'll also be happy if it lightens up. I just can't imagine that it would go from dark gray to light gray or white since it hasn't lightened up at all so far.

I guess only time will tell "God, give me patience and I WANT IT RIGHT NOW!!!!"

• kygirl99
    16 years ago

they started our brick in december and we had some that lightened early, within the first day or two, and some that took a couple of months. I even posted a freaked-out post about why my mortar was different colors. Everything evened out in the end and looks the same.

• txgal06
    16 years ago

charliedawg-just back from our site and the brick is complete. I commented on a difference in mortar color and the head mason says, "yeah the darker is what we just finished and it will lighten up some as it dries." :) So turns out that the white mortar looked light grey when wet and white when dry.

• woodinvirginia
    16 years ago

Depends on climate, temperature and humidity. Color may not cahnge for months in some cases.

• Chaz Lillion
    5 years ago

charliedawg any chance you can tell us the end result? Did it end up lightening up alot? I'm freakin out I just had mine re-pointed yesterday and so much darker! It's drastically darker and my brick guy said the same as post here - wait 3 days. I'm on the God give me patience - AND I WANT IT RIGHT NOW stage of panic! Pray for me please!

• cpartist
    5 years ago

Why are you expecting someone to answer you from 11 years ago?

• Chaz Lillion
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I guess you can read minds and know what my expectations are???? For your edification - In case someone like me is looking and and someone with more knowledge than I can answer. Let me ask you a question - why not? AND when I see what mine does will post up for the next person. Guess this doesn't make sense to you - figures

• ILoveRed
    5 years ago

The new format with titles of threads (that are often very old) on the right margin of the page make it very easy to accidentally post to an old thread.

I cant tell you how many threads I’ve opened up from that area just to later realize that they are ancient threads.

• ILoveRed
    5 years ago

And I really hate that when I post something it ends up cross posted on several boards. Whatever intimacy that we had in the past as GW members is now gone.

And I really don’t want to post pictures anymore....

If anyone decides to go somewhere else...let me know.

• cpartist
    5 years ago

You didn't ask the general population. You asked the OP who started a thread 11 years ago.

• User
    5 years ago

In any case, you don't want the mortar to dry quickly; you want it stay wet until the chemical reaction is reasonably complete, ie the mortar has "cured". In hot, dry or windy weather its often necessary to spray water on it. The longer it stays dark the better.

• Chaz Lillion
    5 years ago

Thank you very much JDS. It has lightened up a good bit and its going on the 3rd day. I think it may ultimately be right on or maybe a shade or two too dark.

• User
    5 years ago

Far better dark than light. One reason old brick is beautiful is the joints were small. Today they’re much larger and distract from the color of the brick. I try to match the brick. Same for sealant at control joints.