Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grandview33

Contractor or Architect mistake? Both or Neither?

Grandview33
10 years ago

I'm in a situation and can't decide how to handle it frankly. Building new construction. I told the architect and the builder to build the house with 9' ceilings and 7' doors, doors and windows should be the same height. The sub-floor will have another 3" added for 3/4" radiant heat panels and 3/4" solid oak. The drawings state the dimensions from floor (I assume it means sub-floor) to bottom of window headers as 7'. Contractor (framer) made the R.O height of the interior doors 7' from sub-floor too. Now the contractor is telling me we can't fit 7' doors in unless they are higher than the windows. Seems to me at 7', they are framed for 6'8" doors. 6'8" plus 3" of flooring, 3/4" jamb. What went wrong here? Now it's sheetrocked and house is sided so I can't rebuild the house's framing.

In situations like this the contactor seems to want to blame the architect and the architect is blaming the builder. The way I see it, I have to decide if I want to keep window height and door height the same and use 6'8" doors and ask the contractor for a refund/credit for the difference. OR use 7' doors and they will be about 3"-4" higher than the windows. I'm at an impasse and need help from the pros, I'm hoping someone out there understand my explanation and can help me make sense of this mess.

Comments (32)

• User
    10 years ago

If you wanted 9' ceilings interior finished height, the construction documents should have called out for 10' studs cut down not 9' studs. That would have increased the expense due to the custom cutting for everything. Or, if you would have been OK with a bit higher than 9', 10' studs could have been used without cutting them down. It all comes down to the construction documents that the architect prepared, and IF the builder followed them correctly.

Moot at this point.

Top alignment height of all millwork is a modern and contrived invention. Traditionally, windows were always set taller than the doors, to be able to capture the maximum amount of natural light. The closer to the windows are to the top of the wall, the more light they let it. So, I'd probably see if I could shift the windows taller, and use the shorter doors. That would be a more traditional look. And, if you could shift the windows taller, you also might have enough room to be able to do a scale appropriate transom above the doors if the top alignment thing is really important to you. Also, with the windows higher, furniture placement becomes much easier. That's one of the unintended consequences of modern home design with over large windows. There's no place to put tables or chairs against an exterior wall. And no wall spot to attach window treatment hardware.

• galore2112
    10 years ago

I don't see a practical solution other than the pragmatic one to use 6'8" doors and move on. I don't think that the 4" difference warrants the incredible hassle (+expense and bad blood) to change the framing.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

If the detail (added 3" of in-floor heat) was not clearly called out in the section drawings, more responsibility rests with the architect. If there is a detail in the blueprints which went ignored by the framer, that's where blame lies. If you refused to pay for extra drawings, like sections and detail sheets, well, look in the mirror.
    Casey

• renovator8
    10 years ago

A ceiling height is a finish dimension so it should be measured from the finish floor. A framing dimension is a construction dimension so it should be measured from the sub floor. Unfortunately it is becoming difficult to find construction and design professionals who understand how to create proper construction documents or owners who are willing to pay for them.

It is easy to determine if the architect made a mistake by looking at the drawings, however, the contractor should have caught such an obvious mistake or at least inquired why the windows were to be framed so low for such a high ceiling.

There is no practical or aesthetic reason to align door heads and window heads and your architect should have tried to persuade you to allow the windows to be at least 6" higher regardless of the door heights.

I would raise the windows.

And I would make sure the architect is really professionally trained and licensed.

• threeapples
    10 years ago

We literally had the same problem. Our architect spec'd one height for the front door on one page and another on another page. It was a detail we all missed until the house was framed. We needed to change the header to prevent a squat front door and no transom that I wanted. We were annoyed, but I'm glad we fixed it. We paid for the fix, unfortunately.

• worthy
    10 years ago

The drawings state the dimensions from floor (I assume it means sub-floor) to bottom of window headers as 7'.

And that's what you got. Even if you told them something else.

I just looked over a few of my plans. All just state the RO heights only. That's because the floor finishings change and finished ceiling heights are nominal only. If I had such specific client instructions I hope I would have noted it in the details.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Which brings back the point of what type of drawing details you have paid for?

• Grandview33
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some people suggested moving the windows up but like I said the sheetrock and siding are already done. I guess I have to admit I didn't do much research to know what type of drawings the architect should provide other than whatever was necessary to build a new house. I believe she made an oversight and put the RO's for doors and windows at 7' from the subfloor and didn't remember there was radiant heat building up the floor height. We did discuss that I wanted the windows and doors the same height. I'm bothered by the fact that she didn't catch that and is trying to blame the contractor and making like it's his fault and not taking responsibility for it.

The contractor also knew I wanted 7' doors and I feel he should have double-checked the plans to make sure this didn't happen.

This post was edited by Grandview33 on Mon, May 27, 13 at 8:03

• renovator8
    10 years ago

Doors are sized by the interior dimension of their frames. Windows are sized by the exterior dimensions of their frames. To get their interior trim to align is a difficult task but more importantly there is no particular reason to do it; it's reminiscent of post war sub-division housing.

IMO the mistake was in directing the architect to attempt to align these unrelated architectural elements and I fault the architect for not telling you that alignment offered no particular advantage and that the odds of success were poor at best. I would look her up in the state database to see if she hasn't misrepresented herself; it has become shockingly common to do so.

• Grandview33
    Original Author
    10 years ago

From what I have read, it seem much more acceptable to have the windows higher than the doors, but I don't see any examples of interior doors higher than windows, and because of that, I believe I have no real option here other than to make the doors 6'8".

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

Nothing wrong with 6'-8" doors! And they tend to be less expensive than taller doors. I suspect after construction no one will notice anything amiss!

Good luck with your project.

• ddr000
    10 years ago

We had a similar problem. The notes on the plan were correct, and this was discussed in detail with the builder. The framers had built headers for windows and doors at the same height.

I happened to notice this issue just after they framed the first floor; framers had a bit of a hard time with this at first, but with a bit of research and math help from me were able to change the header heights for windows and doors so the finished heights match. I hear that people say it doesn't matter that the heights match, but we felt that it does look better if the tops align.

I do suspect based on my experience and what I'm reading here, that unless you're watching or noting this very carefully it may not happen, since this appears to be non-standard.

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

Framers are not finish carpenters, and should not be expected to perform the design work to determine header heights that are going to depend on finish work long after framing is completed.

The drawings should have provided a detail giving the header dimension opening by opening if required.

The framers do NOT know all the nuances of how those opening heights are calculated.

Framing is not 'high tolerance' work.

And do not bury details on the last page of the package.
    Put them right up front on the first page with a note referring to them.
    The title for the table should be in BIG block letters.

This post was edited by brickeyee on Wed, May 29, 13 at 11:19

• Grandview33
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It amazes me how careless people can be when you put so much trust in them to build your dream home, and I checked their references ( contractor and architect ) very thoroughly. So either most people are not as picky and demanding as I am or they let them get away with many mistakes. When this is all over, I would like to know what resources I have to file complaints so this doesn't happen to others.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

You still have not said what sort of details you paid for from the Architect? Is there a project manager or a site supervisor reading the plans and watching was is accomplished? Did you read the plans or have someone you know look at the plans?

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

A floorplan from a home designer doesn't give you enough detail to be able to build what you're talking about. If that's what you paid for, you got the quality of what you paid for.

• Grandview33
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maybe you can tell me, here are copies of the drawings, last one clearly shows 7' from floor to header height.

• Grandview33
    Original Author
    10 years ago

picture 2

This post was edited by Grandview33 on Thu, May 30, 13 at 12:11

• Grandview33
    Original Author
    10 years ago

page 3

• Grandview33
    Original Author
    10 years ago

page 4

• Grandview33
    Original Author
    10 years ago

page 5

• Grandview33
    Original Author
    10 years ago

page 6

• Grandview33
    Original Author
    10 years ago

page 7

• Grandview33
    Original Author
    10 years ago

page 8

• Grandview33
    Original Author
    10 years ago

page 9

• Grandview33
    Original Author
    10 years ago

this page shows what the height to the window header was. Sorry if I posted too many posts, couldn't figure out how to put multiple pics in 1 post.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Can't read any of it, and I do not see what would considered readily identifiable as section detail drawings?

This post was edited by millworkman on Thu, May 30, 13 at 13:22

• Grandview33
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I can't tell if your trying to help or not. Out of the 5 contractors who bid on this job, not one mentioned that the drawings were inadequate or insufficient.

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

There are no section details drawn that specifies how the additional height of the floor assembly that you requested would be handled in conjunction with the requested height of the millwork. When you are asking for such a non standard job specific type of installation, detailed drawings of how that element affects the others in the build should be drawn. This would be a an extra cost to do something like that from the usual mill plan type architect, but from a good full service architect whom is also overseeing the bidding and providing site oversight as well, it would be standard. "Full service" is more costly for a reason, but it ensures less communication errors for everyone involved.

• dadereni
    10 years ago

Anything not drawn or specified would have been filled in by the bidders with their own assumptions, if they didn't ask questions prior to bidding. Assumptions meaning how they usually do it which may or may not end up how you'd like it, and which may involve lower cost, effort, quality than you might have expected--not necessarily because they are trying to rip you off but certainly so they could get the job. The drawings might have been perfectly adequate to submit a competitive bid and deliver a finished home, but may not have fully and clearly communicated your intentions.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

What I am trying to do is determine how the builder was to know what you want if it is not on the plans? And if it is not on the plans why? was it due to the architects inability to draw the plans correctly or was it because you did not want to pay for a full set of architectural drawings. Just because something does not come out the way you intended does not mean it is anyone's fault.

• _henry Henry
    10 years ago

...deleted double post

This post was edited by -henry on Fri, May 31, 13 at 14:28