Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thisishishouse

Steam shower cost

thisishishouse
9 years ago

(Posted this over in baths but got no bites. Hopefully more experience over here...)

Does anyone know first-hand the expected cost difference to have a steam shower over a regular shower?

The area we've allocated for our shower is 7'Lx 5.5'D x 8'H, with walls all around and a single glass door.

I think I know some/most of the parts involved: a vapor-proof membrane all around, a tight-sealed glass door, maybe some different kind of tile/grout, and of course the steam generator (along with power/water to it)

What (ballpark) should adding steam to a shower add to the cost? Also, any name-brands I should insist on or avoid?

Comments (5)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

We have a steam shower. We don't have a rubber membrane all around. We did get the ceiling and walls tiled and we have the glass going all the way to the top to seal it in and a transom over the shower door, but the door is not sealed especially tight. We also made our shower surround out of corian and had a bench made out of the same material as, everyone said, sitting on granite is much colder.

We put a light in under the seat as we didn't want to steam with the overhead light on...not pleasant. And we added a speaker into the bathroom so we could have music while steaming. While I use that at other times, you have to really crank the volume up as the steam itself is noisy.

The only thing is, I kept telling the project manager I wanted the ceiling slanted so the condensation didn't drip on me when I was steaming. The framers said the tiler could do that, the tiler said the framers should've done that, and it didn't happen. I get a few drips, but it's not bad.

Sorry, I can't help with the cost differential.

• thisishishouse
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just a follow-up note, for any others researching this. Got a quote back from our installer. The extra bits (steam generator, controller, drain pan, head) plus the extra connections (extra electric and plumbing run) will run us just about $3k, which is in line with what I was hoping.

• User
    9 years ago

For a steam shower it is important that the tile backer board be a fiberglass-reinforced-concrete board instead of a fiber cement composite board. To be safe I would follow that rule for any shower.

• phypno1
    9 years ago

I have the exact same question as to the real cost of the installation of a steam shower. There seems to be a wide fluctuation in labor costs, but after researching the subject, some, I am afraid that many of the bidders are not fully aware of all aspects of a properly installed steam shower: sloped ceiling, vapor proof membrane, expansion joints, vapor proof lighting fixtures, etc.

Has anyone had their steam shower installed by someone with a great deal of experience? I would like to know their cost.

• Vanessafox
    9 years ago

It took my tilers an extra 3 days or so to do the vapor proof membrane. The sloped ceiling was framed in. The bench didn't add that much time (it's a foam core).

When I bought the steam shower, the salesperson tried to talk me into the $1700 speaker system that ties in, but instead I bought a a waterproof bluetooth speaker for $50.