Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vfish_gw

Central Vac Question

vfish
16 years ago

I know this question was raised before about the central vac's, but I was wondering if anyone has purchased the Vacu-maid system, which one, and are you satisfied with it? Any suggestions?

Thank-you,

Vfish

Comments (20)

• formula1
    16 years ago

We have a Beam, not a VacuMaid. I don't see any real difference between their cyclonic separation and Beam's self-cleaning filter; VacuMaid admits some dust gets to the motor bearings - "This prevents most of the dust from getting into the motor." That's the main gripe with filter-type vacs, that some dust can still get to the motor. Our self cleaning filter at least cleans the filter surface each on/off cycle, some don't. Most vacs use Ametek motors, they all seem to let some dust get to the motor, so I view things as a wash.

• vfish
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank-you Formula1 for your response. I placed the order for the vacumaid today. We went with the double motor, 3420 system. I hope it sucks :)

I just had to say that!

• kachinee
    16 years ago

I just installed a Vacumaid 3240.
    It has two enormous motors and works off of 220 v.

This vacuum is one of only a few that are true cyclonic.
    It is far different from the Beam.
    It has no filter, but there is an optional electrostatic filter which is available from the manufacturer for about $5.
    The beauty of this vac is that the can comes with plastic liner bags (very inexpensive) that make emptying the contents way easier than other cylconics.
    This has to be the best central vac that I have ever seen for residential.
    Din't worry about it sucking.
    This thing could suck the chrome off a trailer hitch.

• vfish
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank-you kachinee, do you mind telling me how many hookups you have, and what you ended up paying for it?
    What is the sf of your home?
    Thanks

• kachinee
    16 years ago

I paid just under nine large for that two-piece unit.
    I got the inlets and pipe locally, but next time I will get those on-line as well.

I have 5 inlets and one of the cabinet toe-kick sweep-in openings. Square footage is under 3K but I have pets which means that you can never have too much vacuum power. In fact, I have never heard anyone complain that their vacuum worked too good. I already love the thing because as you said, it really sucks ;-)

Are you installing in the garage? Remember this unit has two 2" exhausts that have to be routed outdoors.

• vfish
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Did you say under nine, as in hundred? The unit itself will be in the garage and it has a garage hose. I was quoted 5K for the unit, hoses, 10 inlets, 2 toe kick sweep-in openings. It will route to the outside of the garage. do you think I could save money if I got some of the accessories on line? I don't think I could install myself, or I should say my DH. Did you?
    Thanks

• kachinee
    16 years ago

Yes, I paid under nine hondo for the unit.
    I sawed and glued the pipe and ran the little bell wire, which was easy, but I am more handy than I am smart..

I purchased Nutone tools on-line and will be purchasing the soon to be released (in July?) Turbocat V turbine tool for the carpets. It should work well with the great suction from this beast. I wanted to avoid the electric tools because I don't have that much carpeting, mostly hardwood.

Make sure they put a utility outlet in the garage and in the basement if you have one.

• vfish
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank-you Kachinee, I will have a utility outlet in the garage, with a sep. hose (is this what you mean)?
    Do you think 5K sounds high for what I have mentioned, includes install as well?
    Thanks!

• oruboris
    16 years ago

I'm doing an aqua-air system: water filtered, all the waste goes right down the drain. The united sized for less than 6,000 ft. runs under 2k, + pipe and hose units.

Oh, it lets you spray hot water out as you vaccum it back up, too. I think it will make keeping the new house clean much, much easier...

Here is a link that might be useful: wet/dry central vac

• Happykate
    16 years ago

oruboris: gosh, I've never seen that before! Have you seen one in action?

• oruboris
    16 years ago

Haven't seen it in action, but the folks there are very helpful: I've had a couple informative conversations with them, and the brouchure is on its way.

I'm doing radiant heat and tile on most of my main floor. Imagine how cool it will be to have super clean floors without even owning a mop, or bucket...

There's a similar product called 'Drainvac': haven't really cross shopped them, leaning towards the aqua-air because it comes out of Salt Lake, so should be easy to get parts etc. if I need them.

Here's the Drainvac page:

Here is a link that might be useful: Click

• vfish
    Original Author
    16 years ago

well, I don't think a wet/dry vac is in our future. We have all tile and HW floors, DH likes to clean the HW floors by hand w/vinegar and water.

• kachinee
    16 years ago

vfish:

I never got an installed price but that does seem a little high for labor and materials. I think materials are around $1300.00 for the unit and all the pipes and fittings you have (you can verify that at Central vacuum store.com) and there is two days labor at most for the installation (16 hrs x $25/hr = $400.00).
    As far as cleaning the hardwood, I vacuum and then I use what your DH does, water + white vinegar, but I put that solution into the Hoover Spin Scrub, which is something of a wet vac and leaves the floors dry and streak free.

• oruboris
    16 years ago

Supposedly, the wet/drys are great for hardwood since the water goes down and comes right back up. Dunno, though: don't have one yet, not planning any wood floors [cork, maybe].

• vfish
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the help, I think I am going to keep looking for a cheaper price on this vac.

• kachinee
    16 years ago

Woah. I thought you said you ordered one?
    Is your plan to buy the unit or to get another proposal?
    You can also buy the material and get a plumber, electrician or handyman to do the piping and the low voltage bell wire.
    It is fairly straight forward once one familiarizes himself/herself with the parts.
    One company on the net even offers adaptors which allow you to use regular 2" schedule 40 pipe.

• vfish
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm sorry about that, yes, it is to get another proposal. Or, if I can find one on line that I can purchase, my DH is extremely handy and can probably install it himself. We have to cut somewhere, but hate to cut this since it keeps the dust and dirt out of the house when you vac.
    I'll check out some central vac websites and see what I can find.
    Thanks

• kachinee
    16 years ago

On the net, has that unit and the install material. Also for a price on the unit itself. Usually, your local electrical showroom/contractor supply has all the piping and fittings, and they are available on the net.

Make sure to get the rough piping/low voltage bell wire and inlets done before drywall. That will cost very little, even if you involve a union plumber or electrician. You can purchase/install the unit any time down the road.
    If you are bricking the exterior, put two pipe sections out
    for the exhausts (so they can brick around) which will save some time down the road.

• rachelh
    16 years ago

If you are doing a self-install, you may be risking the loss of a warranty.

• vfish
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the help, I did decide to go with the contractor. He gave me a percentage off that sealed the deal. Moving on to the next weekly issue :)
    Thanks again. I'll let you know how it goes.