Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Insulating a root cellar?

Posted by konrad___far_north (My Page) on
Wed, May 30, 12 at 2:00

I want to insulate about the top 4 feet of the concrete root cellar, [outside] with high density Styrofoam about 1 1/2 or 2" think, it will be covered over with about 4 feet of dirt.

I'm not really sure how to go about this,...slap tar over and stick the Styrofoam on and cover with 2 layers of plastic to keep the water off the Styrofoam. Or should I also tar over the Styrofoam before the plastic?
Any idea?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Insulating a root cellar?

Tar might dissolve the foam. Test it before you try a big area. They do make special adhesives for foam. If it's outside, you need to protect any foam above ground from sunlight- it degrades foam as well.

o
RE: Insulating a root cellar?

Thank you flgargoyle for this information!
Testing first is a good idea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here