Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aries61

It's May 2013! How is your build progressing?

aries61
10 years ago

Can't sleep, so I figure I'd get a start with this. With the warmer weather, there should be more activity this month.

Comments (140)

• LOTO
    10 years ago

sparkler39....you plan on getting your permits back by the end of the week and hope to be under roof by the end of May? That is some quick progress and good luck on your build!!

• Jessica Frost-Ballas
    10 years ago

LOTO, thanks! I was a little surprised too but that's what the builder says. It's a much more compact house than most I'm seeing on this threadâ¦more of a box-shape so I guess that makes it easier for them! The inside won't be so easy as that's where I'm spending the most money! ;)

• ontariomom
    10 years ago

LIvingreen,

Thanks for the extra details you provided on the pumpkin lights. They are so beautiful and unique.

Sparkler, wow that will be fast building. It must be a big team of builders. I assume they don't mean the house will cladded by the end of May -- just framed and shingled? You must be so exited!

Carol

• LOTO
    10 years ago

Audio/Video installers were working today...good thing I have 2 teenage boys to show me how to run everything. Fireplace (Heatilator Constitution) is going in tomorrow.
    GEO unit was inserted into the crawl space today and I picked a good afternoon to be gone :)

• momto3kiddos
    10 years ago

A few updates...
    Here's out sealed crawl space.

Our eze breeze porch enclosures.

I can finally see into my windowless laundry room.

• krock918316
    10 years ago

Plumbing is roughed in. Should pour foundation on Monday.

• Eden-Manor
    10 years ago

We are still in the long framing process:

Sweet Reverie, that color you chose is awesome!

Looking good everyone!

• abrshafer
    10 years ago

Framing began yesterday!

• ash6181
    10 years ago

Thanks for the lighting info, livinggreen2013.

• sweet.reverie
    10 years ago

Everyone's progress looks great! This is the month where people will pass us by. My husband, who just finished up interior and exterior painting, has installing an ikea kitchen, installing hardwoods and tiling bathroom floors on his plate :) It will be a slow last bit.

• njasmine1
    10 years ago

Work is still going on, but has slowed down quite a bit. Hopefully we make it in the house before July 1.

• njasmine1
    10 years ago

Here's another picture of our progress.

• Spottythecat
    10 years ago

Block is going up - here is the 30 foot x 10 foot glass door area...

• zone4newby
    10 years ago

We are FINALLY almost going to start framing. Back fill and rough grading are done.

Framing should start tomorrow-- here's hoping our luck with the weather improves!

Here is a link that might be useful: Our house blog

• Steph Morris
    10 years ago

Darn it. We are still working on our floor plan. Ah well. Better get it right the first time, right?

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

kath-how is it going? Slower than anticipated? We have our first meeting this morning. Nervous/excited....eek.

• jennybc
    10 years ago

Sweet Reverie~

What are the holes on your porch beam? Is that
    ventilation? Very curious. Love your house.

Love all the houses posted!
    Will post updated pics of ours soon!

• Steph Morris
    10 years ago

Autumn.4. We are hanging in there. The architect has submitted floorplans to us and we instantly liked the general concept. Since then (March), we have been refining the SAME design. It's making me a little bonkers. Every time we make some suggestions or criticism (we are down to minor things now and not major changes), we have a 2 week wait for the architect to give us back the changes. Then we notice something else that isn't quite right that the new changes created, and then it's another 2 week delay. I can't help but think that there has to be a better way!

I almost just want to sit down with him when he is doing the CAD work and watch and make changes in real time. It's just too slow going. We are at the point now where foor lines and windows are changing ever so slightly and even that is taking 2 weeks each round. UGH! We haven't even started on the interior of the home, like ceilings and recessed areas, etc.

I really wanted to submit to our HOA by the end of May. There is no way that is happening and it's definitely testing my patience.

Katherine

• sweet.reverie
    10 years ago

Jennybc: Thank you! Yes, it is ventilation :)

• jennybc
    10 years ago

Taking better pics today. Framers just about done!!!

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

Katherine-we had our meeting and he said it would be 3 weeks before we see a floorplan draft with an elevation. I think it went pretty well - he seemed to understand our concept for flow as well as the areas that we see as gray or completely flexible (know what we need but flexible as to where it is located such as a small office spot and the stairwell for instance). Thanks for the detail on how its going for you. It would be very frusturating to wait that length of time for smaller changes when you feel you are so close and want to just get started! :(

Hang in there. I keep telling myself to be prepared for the revisions and the delays that come with them as THIS is not the process I want to rush. We do have time though since our house was just put on the market.

It's so easy to get antsy though!

Lisa

• LOTO
    10 years ago

BIB tomorrow for me and then drywall starting Saturday...the hangers will work through the weekend so we should see taping start next week sometime.

• FmrQuahog
    10 years ago

We (finally) signed our letter of intent this evening, and made initial deposit. So I guess we're off and running.
    Basic facts:
    Parcel is 1.75 wooded acres in greater Charlotte, NC.
    Home will be +/-3,400 sq ft.
    Style will be Nantucket shingle/Farmhouse.

Stay tuned?..... :-)

• sweet.reverie
    10 years ago

ooohhhh! FrmQuahog, I am excited to see a fellow shingle house!

• Steph Morris
    10 years ago

Lisa,

Congratulations for starting the process!! That is sooo exciting. I hope you post your initial floorplan so we can take a peek.

Delays are hard for me to swallow, especially when they are beyond my control. However, I did have a really good conversation with our architect over the phone today and he will drop off another round of revisions on Friday and then we set up a meeting for next Friday at the same time, sooo we will have 2 back to back weeks to get things done. I just hope there aren't too many revisions to go at this point! :) I promise to post as soon as I get a good floorplan that is ready for critiquing!

Katherine

• Meg4440Roberts
    10 years ago

First wall is up!!

• LOTO
    10 years ago

BIB insulation started today and this seems like a very good product...no odor and very little (if any) dust. Most of my home will be blown insulation except some of the tight vaults. Decided to go ahead with a Generac generator with auto transfer switch..never know what the weather is going to be like in the Missouri Ozarks.

• Jessica Frost-Ballas
    10 years ago

Huzzah! Things are starting to happen! Footers were dug and poured today!

• newhouse123
    10 years ago

War_Eagle , can you please share your roof shingle color and you exterior color please..Thanks

• zone4newby
    10 years ago

They started framing!

• toots4
    10 years ago

Lots of progress the first month - shingles go on tommorrow. Next week electrical and more plumbing work.

• mooredb
    10 years ago

We are about 5 weeks in and the framing and Zip System is on. They should be starting the roof Tuesday and the windows and doors should be arriving next week.

This post was edited by mooredb on Sat, May 25, 13 at 7:27

• rr13
    10 years ago

Still need shutters and porch rails. Then landscaping driveway.

• building_a_house
    10 years ago

More progress on our build...

• building_a_house
    10 years ago

Screened porch wood burning fireplace completed today. Will be finished with stone. This portion of the porch will have a stone knee-wall with screen above. Interior of firebox is herringbone which was done by hand.

• sweet.reverie
    10 years ago

Here is the kitchen while being built:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here is my cute husband going to "work" lol. And our cute exterior light. The paint color does look beige in the sunlight, which makes me a little sad. Luckily I live in WA state where it is never sunny!

• LOTO
    10 years ago

The drywall hangers came in Saturday morning and worked until 6:00 pm and started this morning at daylight and will do the same tomorrow and should have everything rocked by tomorrow sometime....3 men and the house is about 3,000 sf not including the 2 car oversize garage and there are lots of vaults and several tray ceilings. They make it look easy.
    Going with a Level 5 finish and the company owners will do the taping/sanding themselves starting on Tuesday.
    I will take photos after the interior is cleaned up (the hangers will do this) as it is quite a mess right now.

• sweet.reverie
    10 years ago

Kitchen coming along:

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

Sweet.reverie-look at all of that light streaming in! Awesome!

toots4-are you interested in posting your floor plan? I am always intrigued by an angled garage. We are planning one for our build as well.

Lisa

• LOTO
    10 years ago

The drywall company owners started taping yesterday and it will be about 7 working days (depending on drying time/humidity) before they are complete...my painter is scheduled to come in the next day and put the first coat on walls/ceiling before the flooring/cabinets/doors and trim goes on.
    Everything has to click pretty good as our lease is up on our condo July 1st. I know we won't be completed and will probably just stay in our camper for a short (hopefully) while. The Mennonites are supposed to put our shop up either Friday or Monday and we will park the camper in there and have covered camping. We don't really want to move into another rental for a month or so and would rather just tough it out now....shop has a full bath and office and that part should be done in 30 days.
    The chimney is my James Hardie colors...most of the front of the home is done but must have had the camera on a manual setting because all of the photos of it turned out really blue and the color is gray.
    Just saw there are tornado and flash flood warnings thru Saturday so doubtful the shop goes up this week.

This post was edited by LOTO on Thu, May 30, 13 at 10:02

• zone4newby
    10 years ago

Working on the first floor.

Hope the weather continues to cooperate!

Here is a link that might be useful: Our house blog

• chris401
    10 years ago

After two years of planning and waiting, we began site work this week. So I can officially join these threads now, correct?

• TNHawkeye
    10 years ago

Hello. I'm new here! Wish I would have discovered y'all earlier. I'm enjoying seeing everyone's build progress and process. We are about six weeks away from completion. Building a "small" modest house to most here but It's perfect for us.

Here's a few recent pics. Kitchen cabinets went in this week. They started the hardwood on the stairs last night. It's fun to see progress and change now daily.

• FmrQuahog
    10 years ago

Looks good, TNHawkeye. Are you an Iowa Hawkeye, by any chance?

• Zoe52
    10 years ago

We just got our first set of plans from the architect. We need a lot of tweaking for sure! But it is a start! Once we get a little farther along before the final plans are done I will post them on line.

• hough2012
    10 years ago

Still waiting on DTE for power (it's been 3 weeks). Framing is supposed to start next week. Fingers crossed....

• TNHawkeye
    10 years ago

Tennessee now but Iowa originally. Both my husband I graduated from u of Iowa.

• LOTO
    10 years ago

Today we picked out our granite slab (Juperana Gold) and natural stone (Hudson Ledgestone) for the fireplace and covered front porch wall.
    Also picked out all of the floor tile and wall/trim tile for the bathrooms...pretty easy picking this out as we have used this same tile/trim combinations before.

• degcds
    10 years ago

Finally some progess to share! We have our copper roofs on all the dormers and our first coat of stucco is complete. They are starting the stone next week. They have finished hanging the drywall and they are taping and mudding! So excited with how the coffered ceilings turned out as well as some of the other detailed ceilings! Trim should be starting by middle of next week! Of course we are leaving for a little summer holiday up to the lake and couldn't be planned at a worse time!

Here's a few pictures!

Clayton

• Jessica Frost-Ballas
    10 years ago

End of the month and our first floor is framed! We went from pink flagged stakes in the ground on May 13th to something that actually looks like a house on May 31st! I can't wait to see what June will bring! :)