Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xyz10_gw

Worthwhile options on a new production home

xyz10
10 years ago

Are any of the following options worth the money ?

Noise insulation package for bathrooms and laundry room.

Dimensional shingles over standard 3-tab shingles.

Insulated garage doors.

Wood floors in kitchen to match rest of first floor. Standard kitchen flooring is vinyl flooring.

Electronic air filter for forced air furnace.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (12)

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Depends on the up-charge. I'd probably do the "noise insulation" and the kitchen floor and if the dimensional tabs have a longer "warranty" maybe those too.

Will your garage be heated? If not, no to the insulated doors.

Everything depends on the price though.

• john_wc
    10 years ago

What material does the builder use for noise reduction?

• rrah
    10 years ago

It would all depend on the price. How much are they charging for the electronic air filter. I'd call a local HVAC company and get an estimate. It should be easy to add on later.

As for the insulated garage doors--depends where you are located I suppose and if there is any living space above the garage. In the midwest we definitely need insulated doors for cold winters and hot summers. Even with insulation between the house and the garage that extra layer on the doors is useful.

• mrspete
    10 years ago

Noise insulation is a one-time cost, and it might be worthwhile. I'd want to know just how much it costs, and it'd depend upon the location of your bathroom /laundry. If it's just through the living room wall, it's probably worthwhie. If it's down a hall near nothing but the garage, not so much.

Dimensional shingles. How much? Are we talking about a small amount for impact on the front of the house . . . or the whole roof?

Insulated garage doors? As a Southerner, I say, "Why?" I suppose those of you in other parts of the country know.

Wood in the kitchen is a highly personal choice. I am against it, fearing water damage. It's also a choice that ties into the rest of your house and the price point of your house. If you're in an upscale neighborhood and you don't go with wood, you should consider tile instead. In you're in a moderately-priced area, vinyl is probably "standard".

• angel411
    10 years ago

I live in Florida and you may not believe this but our insulated garage doors keep our garage much cooler in the summer. :)

I love wood in the kitchen, but I'm biased as I have it in my home. I think it is a definite step up from vinyl and if you can have your whole first flow, it will look more cohesive from a design perspective.

• sedona_heaven
    10 years ago

We have wood in the kitchen and love it. Agree with the design comment - it looks great, and vinyl is a pretty big step down in my opinion, if the two are right next to each other. But there is nice looking vinyl these days, so if the kitchen is separated from the other rooms it might be just fine.

For my money, the most important thing we did was add a few windows in some critical places (over the sink, enlarged living room view, put one in dark cavernous shower stall). This will change the quality of my life every single day!

• xyz10
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Noise insulation package for 2 bathrooms and laundry room. Cost is about $900., seems pricey but was told PVC pipes will transmit sound compared to cast iron.

Dimensional shingles over standard 3-tab shingles. Not sure about price.

Insulated garage doors. About $750 with no windows.

Wood floors in kitchen to match rest of first floor. Standard kitchen flooring is vinyl flooring. About $2,000. to upgrade.

Electronic air filter for forced air furnace. About $850.

Thanks in advance.

• robin0919
    10 years ago

Is the noise insulation something special or just the pink insulation? If it's just the pink, buy it at the big box and install yourself to save allot!

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

The Electronic filter - excellent for lowering dust in the house.

Insulated Garsge doors - except in a really year-round mild climate, they are good at helping keep the house temps better. A garage can be far hotter than the outside air if the doors face sunward. Venting the garage also helps.

• ontariomom
    10 years ago

When we first built our home the builder put on a non insulated garage door. The rooms above the garage and beside were never warm enough. We put in an insulated garage door and the changes were amazing. Finally, the rooms surrounding the garage were warm and comfortable. Also, the opening and closing of the door was much quieter. Obviously the need for an insulated door depends on your location.

Carol

• rrah
    10 years ago

Production builders often have a high cost for upgrades.

Of the items you mentioned:

Air filter seems to be priced fairly. You would probably pay a similar amount to purchase and install after you move in.

The additional cost for the garage door seems a bit excessive, but that depends on the brand. Having said that, the cost to remove the door and install a new one later on would cost more.

The $2000 depends on size of the kitchen. I would prefer to do it now though if it was me.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

If your noise insulation for your bathroom includes upgrading to cast iron, 900 isn't too bad. If not, that should be more like 200.

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm