Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saftgeek_gw

Finally... Laying out the House on Thursday

saftgeek
10 years ago

Well I think we're going to set some kind of record for GW. We bought our land in 2007 and one delay after another caused us to sit on our plans. We've been through no less than 3 total plan changes and interviewed 10 different contractors... I've paid for appraisals and submitted applications then got cold feet. The long wait has allowed us to do many improvements on the land we purchased, which really helped our newest appraisal out tremendously. Here is a picture of it unimproved. As you can see we are located high up on a bluff, overlooking the MO River.

We now have a clearing where all the brush is in this picture. Unfortunately we need to take down a few more of the larger trees to make room for the house. I was very selective when we made our improvements and kept all the trees that benefited the wildlife. We still have a few thousand trees for them, so don't get too concerned. It will be so nice to move out of the city and get up on this spot. Here is another picture that shows a little more of the view...

I am planning to have my daughter keep GW updated. She is very, very excited and has spent many hours looking at GW with me through the years. I think it will be neat to have the story told from her perspective. I hope she stays on task and does a good job of showcasing our progress.
For now, I'm just happy to be able to say we are building, finally...

Saftgeek-

Comments (7)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Congratulations! It's an exciting time and it looks like you will have wonderful views to enjoy for a long time to come.

(And hopefully you are high enough above flood stage!)

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

The long wait has allowed us to do many improvements on the land we purchased, which really helped our newest appraisal out tremendously.

I'm curious, what type of improves did you make to the raw land to make it worth more? I thought the value of land is tied to location, zoning and acreage.

• saftgeek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

When we bought the property you could barely walk through it. We built two ponds, cleared off the ridge tops, built a road and planted grass/clover. It is mowed and now looks more like a park. The improvements were substantial. It helped that we bought for a song as well. I consider this purchase to be my luckiest by far. We bought 20 acres for $1500 per acre. Absolutely unheard of but it was so rough nobody bothered to even go to the top to see what was there, You had to look past a lot of neglect to see the potential. I thought my wife was going to kill me, but she trusted my judgement and I promised her it was a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Stay tuned everyone...

Saftgeek-

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

It's beautiful. Where is it located if you don't mind answering? Lucky you.

• Houseofsticks
    10 years ago

Staying tuned:). Congratulations!

• saftgeek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We are in the central part of Mo. I love this place. So much history. This bluff was actually written into Lewis and Clark's journals. They stayed here in both 1804 and 1806. I have a small graveyard with 11 headstones as well. One of our first tasks was to reset all the head/foot stones and clean it up. It was long neglected and now is being cared for. I joke with my family about when I die they can just drag me up the hill and bury me in the graveyard... Some folks get creeped out by it. I think it adds to the story of life and offers opportunity to do something nice for a family we never even knew. Pictures just aren't capable of capturing the "value" for lack of a better term...

Saftgeek-

• AllieBr8
    10 years ago

Totally awesome story!! and a great awesome find!!! It was meant to be yours!! Makes it all the sweeter to grow and love it and now have invested your heart...makes building and living there the only next right thing do!!!