Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geratobe

Anyone here seriously looked at modular homes?

Green Tea
10 years ago

deleted

This post was edited by balor123 on Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 15:31

Comments (5)

• dking99
    10 years ago

We built a modular home and spent a long time researching. The one you show is a pretty expensive design but not atypical for some of the design oriented prefab type homes. They are a little more focused on architectural styling as compared to more standard designs. Modular homes will typically run anywhere from 15~30% less depending on the design and location.

A great resource that we used to find different designs and learn about modular was a book we purchased here http://www.modularhomesnetwork.com . Was very helpful in showing us what to look for and well worth the investment. Hope the info helps...

Here is a link that might be useful: Modular Homes

• zone4newby
    10 years ago

We seriously considered going with modular but decided against it. The dealers who could build in our area were either uninterested in working with us (I believe because of the challenges of our lot) or people we weren't interested in working with.

There is a very good modular dealer/GC nearby that friends had a great experience with, but we're building on the other side of the state line, and, while they would have been happy to sell us a house, we would have had to be our own GCs for the foundation, installation and finishing work, and I wasn't comfortable with that.

Also, I watched a 2 story, 4 piece modular home get set last summer, and it was amazing to see, but despite being done by experienced professionals, it was a little wonky. One of the pieces was a little off square from the rest, and I don't know how they were going to fix it.

I know my stick built house won't be perfect either, but...

If we were going to go with modular, I'd want to stick to a one story home-- it seems like the stacking is where things can get iffy with modular, IMO.

• sochi
    10 years ago

I looked into modern modular homes as well. I love the idea of prefab. The ones I liked were very expensive, and there was nothing I liked close to home, hence substantial shipping costs had to be added. In my experience they seem to cost as much as stick built. We decided against it in part due to some research I had done, and some comments here. But primarily because our building site is heavily wooded, rocky and sloped and we really needed a home designed and built specifically for our site. I think modular might work better on a relatively flat site where there aren't as many constraints (and opportunities).

The house you posted looks lovely though.

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

There's not usually very much if any savings over stick built. Unless you are REALLY close to one of the factories, and have very experienced GC's who have done it before working on your job. The transportation and "education upcharge" from the contractors eats up any savings. And then there's your local municipality who migh tjust classify your home in the same category as a mobile home, and just try to get a permit for it anywhere but the most rural of areas then. Also, your bank and insurance company might not be quite so on board with it either without some educational efforts on your part. That's one of the first places to start talking to. And the second would be the local permit office.

• Ed Vining
    8 years ago

We built a modular in 2011, Here is what I have to say about my experience.

https://www.facebook.com/My-KBS-Building-Systems-Modular-Home-1884816595077905/

http://www.mykbshome.com/