Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
worthyfromgardenweb

New Home Inspiration

worthy
12 years ago

A mere two years after moving into this

antique 1964 home, I've decided on the inspiration homes for its replacement. (The original idea was to do a reno, but I gave it up as a hopeless waste of money.)

Burgie House, a northern Scottish country home dating from 1800 but with large additions in 1912.

Now a "holiday home", it is partially built from stones from the ruined 17th Century Burgie Castle.

An early 21st Century Georgian-influenced home in the York Mills area of Toronto by noted local architect Lorne Rose

The 28,175 sf city lot with restrictive zoning poses some challenges. The footprint--with hoped for zoning variances--will be 110'-120' wide by 43' feet deep; the front is on a curve; height is limited to 36'; and where the heck do you put the garages.

We shall see.

Comments (10)

• renovator8
    12 years ago

Delusions of grandeur at your age?

• worthy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

At least, I'm not being dissed with the Mc word!

In truth, there are no taxes on gains from the resale of a principal residence in Canada. And that's been working out pretty well for many small builders in hot areas for decades. The home will be for sale from the concept to whenever it's sold.

So where do you put the garage? Discreetly off to the side as on the Lorne Rose design? Looks better, but it's damn awkward to move vehicles in and out.

• kelhuck
    12 years ago

Should be gorgeous! Can't wait to see what u come up with. Can u do a "carriage house" at the back of the property for a garage? Maybe connected with a breezeway for protection from the Canadian winter?

• stinkytiger
    12 years ago

Hi,

Full disclosure the Architect and Builder is my brother, so this is a biased view. However he did do something similar with a 10th century watch tower in Italy.

It has been featured in Vogue USA, Financial Times, Brides UK, American Express Black Card and numerous other publications. He runs it as an hotel. For a full list of publications check "moravola wikipedia" on Google.

It is sort of a romantic place, and weddings there are quite popular.

All the best, Mike.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moravola

• ontariomom
    12 years ago

Your York Mills house is gorgeous. It is possible that have even seen it once when in the area. Are the houses beside it large as well? The one to the right as you face the house does not look as grand. You say the depth is 43" deep, so am I correct that the backyard is rather minimal as most of the property is in front? Will you have room for a garage in the back? It will be a shame to put the garage in the front and ruin the symmetrical look, especially for a double garage. This is probably not a great idea, but do houses every have two single garages one on each side of the house, with of course two different side entrances and driveway access to both garages?

Anyway, good luck with your potential purchase assuming you have not yet bought it. Great area of town to live in!

Carol

• robin0919
    12 years ago

Is this going to be your house worthy?

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Worthy- You're making me feel much better about wanting to add a little more space to my remodel. Thank you :)

You have a nice home now, but I can see that it's going to be stunning, after you finish. What are you planning for your layout? Any ideas for interior style? I'd love to see what you're going to have to go with the exterior!

• worthy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mike

Amazing dedication. Europe is full of ruined castles looking for lovers.

kelchuk

Maybe connected with a breezeway for protection from the Canadian winter?

The ideal look. But the property is not deep enough.

OntarioMom

No, no the York Mills home isn't mine. It's one of two existing homes I plan to use as an inspiration. I couldn't afford lots there! Tie Domi lived a block away on Oxbow--until his amour deStronach led to his divorce and his ex got the mansion.

When I say "footprint", that means the area the home itself takes up. The current zoning would only allow me a house about 22 feet deep, even though the lot is 119 feet deep, 250 feet wide and just short of 2/3 of an acre.

Till the link goes dead, here's a gallery of the Lorne Rose home interior. (Sadly in need of an interior decorator.)

, but do houses ever have two single garages one on each side of the house, with of course two different side entrances and driveway access to both garages?

Yes. For instance, here in my old neighbourhood:

Persia Meets Toronto

robin0919

Till I can sell it. It will be the fifth custom home I've built and lived in since '90. But if I'm lucky I can sell it before it's built. Did that a couple of times too.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

I have always liked this design for a wide lot. It is a two-family, but it could with some effort be modified. The access to the rear of the lot is solved quite neatly?

Floorplan and some details:

Sorry about the lousy snapshot, no time for an HD scan.
    Casey

• worthy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I like the drive-through and considered that design. But it would probably eat up more space than buyers would want.

In any case, I've downsized. More buyers with less money than more money. Especially today. (And even in Toronto's soaring real estate market.)

Here's the first draft--about 4,200 sf. plus the may-be finished attached four-car coach house.

And the inspiration.