Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
micheletx_gw

Don Gardner Wilkerson Plan

MicheleTX
10 years ago

My husband and I are semi-retired and are looking at the Don Gardner Wilkerson plan to build on a 2.5 acre lot outside of Houston, TX.

We have no children and very infrequent overnight guests. We do each need an office which this plan would provide.

Has anyone built this plan?

Do you have any suggestions and is there anything that could be eliminated to cut building costs?

Thank you for any help.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (28)

• MicheleTX
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm looking for any feedback on this plan - not just from someone who has built it.

I would like a small pantry.

• bird_lover6
    10 years ago

That's a very nice plan. There's a lot to like about it - a large informal dining area and a nice-sized greatroom.

Possible changes -

You could take a couple of feet of counter space to your left as you enter the kitchen from the hall and add that to the closet in the hall for a larger pantry. You would then have a bit of blank wall space in the kitchen for...art? Or you could even include a second, small door into the pantry from the kitchen to access things you use most frequently.

I would open up the kitchen a bit more to the family room, but that depends on your living style.

If you have no plans to finish the upstairs extra space, you could rework that area of the hall, laundry room and bath. I see possibilities there, but it just depends on what you like.

Personally, I would scrap the jack and jill bath since it will be cramped, and just have the bath open to the hall. With the third bath and no children fighting over the bathroom, a more spacious bathroom might be more appealing.

One thing I do not like is the proximity of the master bedroom water closet to the bedroom. Assuming the bed is on the long wall between the windows, I'd have to go all around the bed and walk all the way to the wc at the front of the house in the middle of the night. Unfortunately, as we age, we tend to "go" more. :) Just something to think about if you plan on growing old in this house.

I do like this plan a lot - all the rooms are spacious without being overly large, and, imo, is a very nice house for that square footage.

Good luck!

• MicheleTX
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you bird lover. You've definitely given me some things to think about. I like your idea for the pantry.

I hadn't thought about the master bathroom WC being so far from the bed.

We have a number of antiques to incorporate. I need to find a place for this piece in the kitchen. We inherited it from my in-laws.

• bird_lover6
    10 years ago

That's a very pretty piece and it doesn't look particularly wide. Perhaps you can off center the door leading to the screened porch to make room for this piece in the dining area. One french door right as you enter the breakfast room would give you enough room for your piece as well as visibility to the screened porch.

As far as the wc goes, my mother-in-law stayed in her own home living quite independently until 90 years of age. (We should all be so fortunate to be that strong and healthy!) However, she did need to place a portable toilet near her bed at night because she got up so frequently and was a bit "wobbly" during the night. I would be thinking of such things if you are going to retire in this house.

Good luck!

• Specific ibex
    10 years ago

If you made the jack 'n' jill bath a 'regular' bath accessible from the hall you could take the entire bathroom space shown above the utility room and turn it into a large pantry or perhaps combine the space with the utility room.

• bird_lover6
    10 years ago

That's a great idea, Zen. She could make a large walk-in pantry where the bathroom is currently, or just make a large closet/pantry all along that wall and add the extra space in the laundry room.

I'd love a large enough laundry room where I'd have enough space to leave my ironing board out most times and space enough for a nice place to bathe my dogs! Oh, well, a girl can dream. :)

• MicheleTX
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great ideas. I think making the jack and jill bathroom accessible through the hall would be a lot better.

A large pantry would be wonderful.

Thanks for the great suggestions.

• MicheleTX
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great ideas. I think making the jack and jill bathroom accessible through the hall would be a lot better.

A large pantry would be wonderful.

Thanks for the great suggestions.

• bird_lover6
    10 years ago

Good luck, Michele!

Those aren't difficult changes, and you should save a bit of money with the elimination of a bathroom. ($$$$ = kitchen and bathrooms :) )

• MicheleTX
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bird lover's suggestion about having the WC closer to the bedroom made me wonder how it would look to flip the walk in closet closest to the bedroom with the shower and WC (putting the WC closest to the bedroom). Do you think that would work or not look right?

• Missred1
    10 years ago

MicheleTX, have you decided to build the Wilkerson? We have a 2.4 acre parcel in CO we are considering for this plan, but can't find anyone on the web who has actually constructed this home. I would definitely change the "jack n jill" bathroom to a single entry from the hall. I would also re-align the master bath to switch the water closet and walk-in closet. Also, the linen closet should open from the hallway, not the interior of the master. I would also only have 1 closet in the foyer to add width (6' is pretty narrow). Also, expand the width of the garage to 3 or 4 car. Let me know what you are doing with this plan.

• chemengr
    10 years ago

I like this plan too. Have you considered the Markham plan?

• chemengr
    10 years ago

Has anyone built this plan?

• hargetts14
    9 years ago

I am also planning on building this house but I want a mud room and a walk in pantry!! I'm wondering if anyone ever decided to build it? Would love to hear your ideas or see your finished home!!

• josephene_gw
    9 years ago

I would nix the steps in the garage. Nix the coffered ceilings, they will date your house. They do look good but add to cost. You may want to have
    One assessable bath, 3 ft wide door.. Consider moving the fireplace over
    To the opposite wall and open to the dining room and a four season room.
    An island in the kit would open up the kit more.
    Jo

• flymase
    9 years ago

cowsarecute, do you still have the cd available? I couldn't figure out how to message you directly. Thanks!

• dbenter24
    8 years ago

Has anyone done a walkout with this plan?

• Pam Latka
    8 years ago

Has anyone am debating on this one and the Drake floorplan and would love to see some pictures and feedback

• redskins12
    8 years ago

has anyone built the wilkerson. am thinking of building it but wanted to see some pictures of the inside. only difference we are thinking of putting cathedral ceilings in family room.

• flymase
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

mccoy homes Inc, I attached a link to pics from McCoy Homes, Inc. I am planning on building the wilkerson this summer.

• Pam Latka
    8 years ago

Thanks! This looks Beautiful! Are you making any changes to the Plan?

• kamibone
    8 years ago
    Flymase, do you have any photos of the master bedroom and bath for the Wilkerson plan? Beautiful house, by the way! We are looking at building this house as well.
  • queeni1951
    7 years ago
    Will anyone who has built this plan by Don Gardner, The Wilkerson, please email me:
    Queeni1951@aol.com
    We are thinking about it and would be pleased to communicate with you.
  • queeni1951
    7 years ago

MicheleTX,

Will you please let me know if you ended up building the Wilkerson by Don Gardner? Email: queeni1951@aol.com

Thank you. We are thinking about building this and would love some input.

• queeni1951
    7 years ago

Moving forward...have modifications ready to submit to Don Gardner and still wondering if anyone out there has built the Wilkerson by Don Gardner. Please, anyone????

• Pam Latka
    7 years ago

We are in the process of building the Wilkerson (with some modifications now) will post pics soon :)

• queeni1951
    7 years ago

pmlatka,

Thank you and I look forward to your posting pics. Did you make any modifications?