Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loves2read

RE-painting older home w/original colors when u don't know them?

loves2read
9 years ago

What is the best way to match original exterior paint colors on house that is about 10 yrs old when you don't know them or have any paint cans to go by?

I know this is new build forum but it gets lot of views from people with paint experience...

We have all brick home in DFW TX area (two story, 4000 sq ft) with wood trim and wood-faced garage doors (3 of them)...a wood fence facing the garage doors will also be repainted (vs stain), and the gutters/downspouts will be painted....basically 3 color tones...

The original owners didn't leave cans of exterior paint for us or list.
We like the current colors--they are just fading after time and the last two brutal summers---the garage doors and fence face the south and get lot of sun/UV...and they are looking pretty patchy...

What is best way to get closest to original shades?
They left cans of KWAL interior paint, so pretty sure they used that brand for exterior.
Guy we will probably use said he could take piece of fence/dark trim that looks unfaded for matching color to SW dealer and just have it matched but looked at his color deck today and there didn't seem to BE a rich, dark chocolate brown like I remember the garage doors were when we moved in...

I just hate to start trying to pick colors--
the colors on paint cards often don't look that way when you get samples...and going to BM or Kelly Moore (another big source in our area) just adds choice/confusion...

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living