Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sageabf_gw

TruSlate roof advice?

sageabf
15 years ago

Has anyone had any experience with TruSlate roofing? We really want to use slate one our new house but are concerned with the cost and weight. We really don't want to use fake slate, but are open to options.

Thank you!

Comments (5)

• mark_g
    15 years ago

We investigated TruSlate, and settled instead on NuLok -- 60sq, 2 residences in NY State.

We are in the middle of installing it now. Our local code enforcement official was out making framing inspections last week and the details of the system caught his interest--to the point where he paid little attention to anything else. He was very favorably impressed by what he saw and how the system fits together.

Nu Lok has a better method of attachment than TruSlate, lower weight pf, relies on no poly for water tightness, eliminates need for soffit-attic venting. Installed cost pf between the two are comparable. Choose installer carefully is my biggest caveat.

Tell Ian hello if you follow up with them. I'm happy to discuss particulars with you back-channel. You are quite correct about slate--there is no substitute.

BTW, I am affiliated with neither company, have a lot of construction experience behind me (isn't that what teachers really do?)

--Mark

Here is a link that might be useful: Nu Lok USA website

• sageabf
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Mark, I would like to talk to you more about the NuLok, I have requested information both from NuLok and Vermont Slate. My husband's biggest question is cost. So please if you will email me at sageabf@mail.com. We are beginning the process of building a new home and are making the outside materials a priority.
    Thanks!

• gekkodojo
    9 years ago

Five years later, are you happy with the NuLok roof? Any advice for those who are considering this system? Thanks!

• COLLIN HAYS
    6 years ago

I installed TruSlate on my roof in in Amarillo, Texas in approximately 2005. I had cedar shakes before that, and had replaced the entire roof twice in the previous 8 years due to hail storms. My roofing company did not recommend that I install TruSlate, but I did anyway.

Since 2005, almost everyone on my block has replaced their roof yet again due to a hail storm - several of them twice. I've never even replaced a shingle. The roof looks just like it did the day after it was installed.

I suspect that my roofing contractor didn't like this roofing system because he wouldn't be coming back for a few decades to replace it!

• snowcountry
    5 years ago

Roughly how much did it cost?