Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeapples

Dentil molding in kitchen and adjacent grand room too much?....

threeapples
12 years ago

Our Georgian style house has ten foot ceilings on the first floor and I'm trying to choose molding now. We want to keep the house as historic and traditional as possible. I really love the dentil style molding, but wonder if we have a very similar style in the grand room, which you can easily see from the kitchen as they are connected, it will be too much. I'm including a link to the kitchen molding inspiration as well as the molding inspiration for the grand room. I'd love to hear your thoughts. thanks!

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/01S0X-VZiBlvKq42eru-2Q?select=wZKw83_wHAJ3cLH6gAe5JA

Here is a link that might be useful: possible grand room molding

Comments (19)

• dutty
    12 years ago

So the rooms are connected? Is it the same moulding? I would think that if you ran the same moulding through both rooms it would look just fine given adequate square footage. If it was a really small space, it might overwhelm but a decent size room with 10 foot ceilings you should be fine. Just my .02.

Very pretty kitchen inspiration pic!

• threeapples
    Original Author
    12 years ago

there is a 9 ft opening between the two rooms.

thanks!

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

Wait til the molding in the kitchen needs cleaning.

Even with a vent hood it is going to get greasy and dirty.

• buckheadhillbilly
    12 years ago

That was my first thought, too, brickeye. Spending a Saturday on a ladder with a toothbrush and soapy water is not my idea of a good time. Kitchen surfaces need to be able to be cleaned wihout much fuss.

Actually, a historically correct house would probably have a kitchen out back in a separate structure. At any rate, it wouldn't have had any molding, would it? Wasn't that saved for "company rooms?"

• Missy Benton
    12 years ago

My first thought was what a pain it would be to clean, too!

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"a historically correct house would probably have a kitchen out back in a separate structure. "

If you want go go far enough back yes.

But after that it would be in the house but not ornate.

Kitchens are not 'public space' that visitors would enter.

• aidan_m
    12 years ago

My first thought was to save some money for that bullet proof room. Thugs with guns aren't slowed down by fancy trim work.

• ILoveRed
    12 years ago

This thread was just painful to read. Is the sarcasm really necessary?

Three apples--i like it, even though it is not my style.

But, I have to agree that it is probably a little too ornate for a kitchen. I'm not an expert on molding but can your builder use it in your grand room without having to continue it into the kitchen?

Would love to see some pictures of your home. It sounds...grand.

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

That dentil molding is used in Atlanta a lot. We went with something simpler, but that is my preference ;) We did do dentil in the entry and dining room (less chunky dentil). We stepped it down to a crown with an apron in the den and kitchen. The same crown was used in both applications, as well as the same apron - just minus the two piece dentil piece - the dentil molding had several pieces, one of which was our 6" crown - so it flows very well.

I would google the Randall Brothers catalog - think that is in their 9800 series. They group things together that go together so you may be able to find a less elaborate piece for the kitchen. I am not a fancy kitchen person - no corbels, carvings, etc. - so that molding wouldn't work in mine, but it may in yours.

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    12 years ago

Wow - gorgeous kitchen inspiration pic! Not my style b/c I'm such a sloppy cook, I would be afraid to ever cook in there but still it is absolutely yummy to look at.

Even tho your kitchen and grand room are connected, and you can see from one into the other, can you actually see the crown molding in one room while standing in the other? Obviously, when you're right in the doorway, you will be able to, but most of the time, won't the header over the doorway between them block most of your view of the adjoining room's crown molding? (Sort of like in the second picture you posted - you can see into the adjacent room but the crown molding in that room is pretty much hidden by the header over the door.)

If you don't really see both room's crown molding at the same time, then I see no reason to match the moldings unless you just want to. Conversely, I don't think having ornate crown molding in one room means you CAN'T have it in the other room as well. I don't think it would be "too much" because you don't actually see both at the same time.

Now, if the two rooms actually flowed together so that the crown molding for one room was in actual contact with the crown molding in the other room, then I think you'd either have to match them exactly or not put any crown molding in the kitchen. I can't imagine anything worse than having two dissimilar moldings butting up to one another. UGH!

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

I also would price out that dentil molding before you decide on it. My recollection is that is VERY expensive, and multiple pieces and requires lots of labor. I want to say each block has to be set individually. I can't remember the details but I remember my builder saying it was much more.

We have different moldings throughout, based on the formality of the rooms. The dentil we used was 4 pieces. Lots of labor costs. We stepped down to two pieces in den and kitchen and hallways downstairs. We also did two piece in the study (more expensive because we needed oak as we are limewashing it). Our bedroom is the Askins molding in the Randall brothers catalog. Also multiple pieces but works great with our ceiling.

We did two piece molding in the master bath and hallway. Two pieces in the upstairs guest room and one piece everywhere else. We had a generous molding budget or we would not have been able to do all that. . .

The installer charges by the square foot, so if you have one piece it is one price, and if you have 4 or 5 pieces it is 4 or 5 times as much. This goes up too when you have to price individual pieces, like that dentil (I think?). You could conceivably be in the 20 plus dollar a foot installation range with multiple pieces.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, it's too bad there is so much hostility with my posts lately--didn't know I had a GW stalker! Please refrain from rude comments unrelated to my queries.

Anyway, you all may be right on the detail being way too much to clean. I'd not thought of that. I also haven't priced this molding yet, so that may take it out of the list of options right away.

Thanks so much!

• lolab
    12 years ago

What is it with the snarky comments? Gosh, if you don't like what someone has proposed, just say so and move on . . . .

Anyway, I like athensmomn's strategy of tying the 2 rooms together with similar, but not identical, molding. We had to adjust the moldings throughout because our ceiling heights varied from 9' in the kitchen to 20' in the adjoining great room to 8' in the adjoining upstairs hallway, and 8' as well in the 2nd floor bedrooms.

While everything blends (I hope), they don't exactly match, and we're very happy with the result. Does anyone besides me even notice that they're different? I don't even think my husband does.

• User
    12 years ago

I'm LMAO about the term "grand room", seriously, impressed with yourself much, threeapples? "Great" room isn't enough, you have to have a grand room. One truly could not make this stuff up.

sandyponder

• threeapples
    Original Author
    12 years ago

grand room is what the architect labeled it on our plans. it's basically a family room, but the name he used stuck since we're still constantly referring to the plans when making decisions.
    no need to be rude just because you can't handle someone else's terminology.
    get over yourself.

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

Geez. Some of you must have never heard of the golden rule.

• auroraborelis
    12 years ago

I never considered having to clean molding in the kitchen. I'm looking at my trim (simple espresso trim molding more than trim) but it looks clean, I had never thought to clean it! :)

Regarding the cost, we are going to add crown molding in a year or two after the house is built to save costs. Actually, we are going to add molding, mudroom cabinets, laundry room cabinets and my built-ins in the master closet over time to save on upfront costs.

Just an idea!

• buckheadhillbilly
    12 years ago

Threeapples and other forum members,

I hope my comments weren't taken as "snarky." I was being respectful but offering another point of view.

I was very much influnced in our build by my grandparents' house in South Georgia. It was built in the 1830's and was tweaked through the generations. That house originally had the kitchen as a seperate structure and then on a side porch, and eventually after the REA, the new electrified kitchen moved inside and the side porch became the laundry. Hence my comment about the kitchen being a separate structure.

Likewise, when we were in the design and build stage, I took notice of moldings in historic houses. George Mason was particulary noted for his love of woodwork, and his house, Gunston Hall, has very ornate woodwork in the most public rooms, less so in the private rooms, none at all in the kitchen and none in the upstairs bedrooms (if my memory is correct). I thought about all of this when I was choosing moldings and followed suit while acknowledging that I live in different times and making allowances for that. My upstairs moldings are very simple. My dining room is the most ornate. My kitchen/family room molding is fairly nice, since the ceilings are tall and it is a gathering area for friends and family. It is a farily public room. However, the crown molding is very smooth for ease of cleaning.

As far as the cleaning issue goes, I cook up a storm and everything in my kitchen needs to be easily cleaned. I have simple beadboard backsplashes and stainless steel behind my range. A tile mosaic would be a nightmare for me after a big stir-fry night. I also have dust allergies and tried to avoid "dust catchers" in my house. Again, looking for easily cleaned surfaces.

My apologies if my remarks were taken as disrespectful. No disrespect or ill will was intended.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dear Buckhead, no apology necessary, though it was super nice of you to post this!
    I think your comment about cleaning the molding is a very relevant one. We all have bad dust allergies and my husband and our children are "lively" cooks, so our kitchen needs to be easily scrubbed down as well.
    As per your comment about Georgian houses not being ornate in areas such as kitchen, you're absolutely correct and we're aware of that. The kitchen in our house will likely be the most ahistoric of all our rooms, but I'm fine with that and want to make it very pretty (function comes first, however).
    You've been incredibly helpful with all most queries here on GW and I've learned a lot from nearly all of you on here. I love this forum and intend to continue posting despite the rudeness of some of its members. I'm fully aware some people never grow up and dealing with these people is part of life.
    Thanks!