Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mydreamhome_gw

Calling Macv, Oberon & All Other Window Experts

mydreamhome
14 years ago

Please help! I have run the gamut on researching & pricing 33 standard size double hung windows, 3 sets of arch-top casements & 6 sets of French patio doors (4 of which are fixed units) for a house my DH & I are GCing ourselves in NC. We have investigated all the major makers (Pella, andersen, etc) & are down to Jeld-Wen & Marvin. I just got quotes in on Jeld-Wen Siteline EX (extruded aluminum clad wood windows with GBG, Low-E & Argon) and Marvin Integrity (Ultrex clad wood windows with GBG, Low-E & Argon). The quotes were pretty much the same! I had heard that the Marvin Integrity line was supposed to be pricier than vinyl, but less than aluminum clad. (That is why I looked into the Integrity line in the first place!) I realize that one major difference is the material used for the exterior cladding, but how do they really compare? We're trying very hard to stay on budget and they both are about 30% above budget. I like the way both window brands look inside & out. So if the price is virtually the same, which way do I go? Is there typically any additional negotiation room with the distributors? Thanks for your help!

Comments (13)

• mbwaldrop
    14 years ago

I know that Marvin Ultimate Casement and Intergrity are far superior in quality than any other line of windows. Consumer reports ranked both of the Marvin lines as 1 and 2 in the rankings. For a reference point, were are in AL and had a Marvin Integrity that included 5 casement transoms, 31 casements and 9 single french doors and the quote was $26K including tax. The only thing against Marvin Intergrity is that they don't offer the spacerbar. I was told that if we wanted to upgrade to the ultimate casement it would cost us about 15%. Hope this helps!

• rethree
    14 years ago

Arrgghh.I feel your pain.Pick one or the other - there is substantially no overwhelming difference in quality between the two. Or for that matter, a Pella Designer series. Sure, there are camps who favor one or the other brand and will say "stay away from so-and-so". Installers play a HUUUUGE role in how homeowners perceive of window "quality" so be careful here. Don't waste too much time on this issue. You will find that there is no unequivocally correct answer.

• athensmomof3
    14 years ago

Is the Jeldwen roll form aluminum or extruded aluminum. My recollection is that macv said recently in another post that he wouldn't put roll form aluminum on any house. Extruded is much much better.

• athensmomof3
    14 years ago

Also you may want to look into Lincoln windows. They are extruded aluminum clad and I have heard very good things about them from folks who have installed them in the last 5 years. Not one problem. Our architect included them in the list of windows he would consider, and they may save you a bit of money as well.

• david_cary
    14 years ago

Just another opinion. MW windows are certainly the largest supplier of windows in my area of NC. In fact, I've had 3 houses - 2 built in 1993 and ours built in 2009 - and all 3 were MW. Yes they are "no-name" but they are used on million dollar homes and are a decent window.

On the 1993 houses - we sold both in 2009. There was one broken seal on a arched window - which seems to happen a lot (there were some marginal seals but all on arched windows). There was 1 rotten sash on each house. One we replaced for $50 - easily ordered from Lowes. The other we didn't. Both were all wood. The rotten sashes - one was very high and not painted regularly I'm sure. The other was in an area of the house that had a moisture issue in multiple areas. You'll find some complaints but my wife's and mine experience were very positive. And replacement cost was so cheap that even if we had more than a few sashed - it wouldn't break the bank. We owned the houses for a combined 14 years.

We have 3 casements, something like 40 windows - all pretty big with transoms on some - like all the downstairs windows. 7 exterior doors (4 glass and not including the front in budget or count) - 3 were 8 foot. All wood windows with SDL in front. They are low e and argon filled. I think our total was $16k. Sure, they'll need paint. We had a difficult color requirement and wood was really our only reasonable option. Our door air blower test showed infiltration less than 50% of Energy Star standard.

Anyway - just to give another option that is sure to be in budget.

• paketa
    14 years ago

mbwaldrop.... I would like to hear more about the space bar. I asked my Integrity Rep. and he said "Spacer bars are purely for aesthetics and not offered on Integrity products. The decrease the effeciency of the windows, but only slightly." Anyone out there know if that is fact????

• mbwaldrop
    14 years ago

paketa, the spacerbar is the "warm edge" metal piece that is placed between the mullion bars. The mullion bars are on the interior and exterior of the glass. Your rep was correct it is purely for looks, however in my opinion when you are standing at the window at the right angle you can see right through the 2 mullion bars on the windows. The exterior french doors are even worse because no matter what you do you will at some point be able to see throught the mullion bars. They do decrease the effeciency slightly, but I am not sure that the decrease is really note worthy. I wanted a simulated divided light look, which without the spacerbar, you loose, now I have paid for the mullion bars and a divided light look, but only if you are not standing at an angle at any window or doors. I hope this it not to confusing!!!

• energy_rater_la
    14 years ago

what are the solar heat gain coefficient and ufactors
    on these windows? these are numbers common to all brands and should be looked at when making this decision.
    best of luck

• mydreamhome
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good question energy rater. Here you go:

Marvin Integrity (Low-E, Argon, GBG)
    Double Hung- ********** Casement-
    UFactor: 0.30 ********** UFactor: 0.29
    SHGC: 0.28 ********** SHGC: 0.27
    VLT: 0.48 ********** VLT: 0.46
    CR: 54 ********** CR: 56

Jeld-Wen Siteline EX (Low-E, Argon, GBG)
    Double Hung- ******** Casement-
    UFactor:0.33 ******** UFactor:0.35
    SHGC: 0.24 ******** SHGC: 0.24
    VLT: 0.45 ******** VLT: 0.43
    CR: N/A ******** CR: N/A

• energy_rater_la
    14 years ago

Your marvin brand has the best numbers
    casement #'s better than double hung.
    as you prolly know...the lower the number
    the better the window
    I recommend that folks buy less than .30
    if at all possible.
    I have to admit that I don't have a clue as to what GBG
    is...

Let me see if I can scare up Oberon to
    come and provide some expert advice...I'll
    drop him an email.

best of luck

• marthaelena
    14 years ago

GBG = Grill Between the Glass.

• paketa
    14 years ago

We decided on the Marvin Integrity wood-ultrex windows (ordered them on Monday). The price for Integrity wood-ultrex was couple hundred dollars less than the Jeldwin Builders series and seems to be better material than roll form aluminum on the Jeldwin builder series.

• nutherokie_gw
    14 years ago

Hi Paketa,

We thought the Marvin ultrex windows were really nice and would have gone with them had they come in the color we wanted. As is, we ordered the Marvin Ultimate casements and french doors. I still cringe when I think of the cost. Hope they're worth it.