Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carra123

Opinions wanted on damaged door

carra
9 years ago

Hi! We have an 8 foot unfinished fir door ($1100) in our new build. One of the subs damaged the door. It has several 'dents' in the bottom panel that are too deep to be sanded out. Our builder is willing to order us a brand new door, however, he offered us a $400 credit if we would allow him to either place a metal kickplate over the damage (an option we would not be happy with) or they would repair it with stainable putty. He is unsure as to how the repair would look. This door WAS over our allowance, so it would be nice to have the credit. At the same time, we don't want our nice door to look awful either. Opinions?

Comments (15)

• Karen15
    9 years ago

Id want it replaced. You spent good money on it and they should be cautious. Just curious if you brought this up to them or were you notified it got damaged?

• carra
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We found the damage, but I don't fault the builder for that. The subs damaged it.

• nostalgicfarm
    9 years ago

There is a big difference between a 700 door and an 1100 door.
    When I bought my 3500 fridge that I had waited for for 3 years, it had a dent Icould see from my stove....where I am most of the time. I was offered aabout a 300 credit. Told DH about it, and he said do what I want....he said if I tool the credit to apply it to the TV I wanted to put above the fridge. I decided to take the credit, and had a TV up there the next day....barely ever noticed the dent after that ;)
    I don't think you will notice the stainable putty in your day to day living. Especially if it means you can splurge on drawer pulls for the kitchen or get the master bath tile you really want...or whatever it may be ;)

• robin0919
    9 years ago

pic?

• carra
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I thought I had one, but we can't find it.

• carra
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a picture of the door damage. It's on the bottom of the door.

• MFatt16
    9 years ago

I would let them fill that and take the credit. I am not one to dwell on things though. If it will constantly catch your eye though, get the replacement. Ask yourself this, would you have bought this door at a showroom if it was slightly imperfect and $400 less? Or would you have paid full price for perfect?

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

I share Matt's opinion, and really like his last question--
    Would you have bought a door at $400 discount with this imperfection?

• carra
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's a GREAT question. Thanks for the insight and help!

• jennybc
    9 years ago

In my house it would be a relief. Now I don't have to worry too much about the perfect door. Or worry about the kids putting the first dent in it... Or me! Small, hardly noticible. After stain it will disappear, to me that is.

Jen

• MFatt16
    9 years ago

You're welcome. Good luck with the rest of your build!

• robin0919
    9 years ago

Or, depending on your style .....maybe put some more dents in it to make it look antique or salvaged?

This post was edited by robin0919 on Tue, May 6, 14 at 23:03

• geoffrey_b
    9 years ago

Many times you can easily raise a dent in wood. Cover the dent with a damp wash cloth, and use an iron set to medium heat. Many times you can raise the dent.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

You mention stain but not what the final finish will be so it's difficult to offer solutions for the repair of the door. I suspect a professional finisher could make it look fine.

• carra
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My husband has decided to let the builder have the door repaired and take the $400 credit! Thanks everyone for the opinions. I'll try to post a picture after it is repaired!