Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what comes first?

Posted by oaktree_35 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 28, 12 at 20:13

We closed on a property a few weeks ago and have a year to get plans and hire a builder. I am terrified and suddenly have no idea where to begin! Should we start with an architect, finalize plans, and then get bids from general contractors? Or do we start with finding a builder? We have a general idea of what we want for a floorplan.

A little about the project... it is an 1150 sq foot bungalow built in 1940 that is more or less condemned. The foundation is solid and can support 2 stories, and some of the exterior walls can be saved, so we plan to keep the footprint but completely change the floorplan. We'd like to add a 2nd story and a garage, and get the house to about 2500 sq feet. Our budget is $250k, and we are located in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. I've been reading other posts and realize this is a very tiny budget... I want an open floorplan, a big bright kitchen with a farmhouse sink and wood countertops, hardwood floors throughout, wood windows, 4 bedrooms and 2.5 baths. Can I do all of that with my little budget? I am having nightmares of being laughed out of architects' offices! Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what comes first?

That will be tough but I think you can do it, but you will have to find a creative architect and a flexible builder.

You may have to source a lot of the items yourself and talk the builder into using your choices instead of his normal stuff. You may have trouble getting wood windows into the mix, and if you have to have masonry exterior that will be tough also.

Let everyone you are working with know what you are trying to achieve.

o
RE: what comes first?

Start with city hall and find out what type of permits your project will need and what changes for remodel vs. new construction. In most cases, keeping any part of the old on a teardown will only hamper you in finding creative solutions for the new space. Talk to some builders about the general cost per square foot that their projects have come in at. You're going to be shocked at the prices. 250K won't be nearly enough for the project unless you choose a very simple box of a plan and go with builder grade finishes. Or, plan to create something that can have an addition at a later time so that you are doing the project in stages.

Unless there is really something special about this location or you have unusual requirements for your build, your money will go further to buy something existing that isn't a teardown.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here