Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jill430

Pre-oiled solid hardwood with in floor heat?

jill430
9 years ago

Hello, this is my first time posting in the building a home forum. Our new construction has hot water in floor heat and we are looking for suitable flooring. We have a small child, a 20lb dog and a 100lb dog. We realize whatever we choose will get scratched but we are hoping to find something that will hide the scratches well and can be repaired in the future. We have been advised to go with engineered hardwood rather than solid but we are concerned about how it will hold up with pets and small children. We found a couple of solid hardwood products (Ancestral Pre-Oiled Floors by BSL Wood Products and Intemporel Pre-Oiled Floors by Alexandra Parquets). The retailer told us pre-oiled solid flooring is ok for installation with in floor heat because the floor is not sealed and can "breath". I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this type of floor? Is it a bad idea to use it over in floor heat? Is an oiled hardwood more prone to scratches? We would go with a hard maple or perhaps oak. Thank you!

This post was edited by JillianL on Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 19:55

Comments (5)

• jill430
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I should add that the wood flooring would be for the living room, dining room and upstairs. We plan on using tile for the kitchen, bathrooms and entry areas.

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Recipe for disaster. Read the manufacturer's installation instructions instead of relying on a salesman. You need engineered, and something with a real finish. And keep your dogs nails clipped weekly.

• jill430
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Hollysprings, I suspected it might be a bad idea. The manufacturers installation instructions state that the floor is warranted for installation over in floor radiant heat providing their instructions are followed but I was still nervous. What do you consider a real finish? I know scratches can't be avoided with dogs but some of the samples we've looked at leave white marks where scratched which are super noticeable. Do you know if that is more likely with certain finishes?

Here is a link that might be useful: Ancestral Pre-oiled Flooring Installation Guide

• worthy
    9 years ago

Some engineered flooring is not suitable over hydronic heating. Same for solid hardwood.

That's why you must read the manufacturer's instructions and make sure the installer follows them to a T.

Here is a link that might be useful: This Old House Norm Abrams answers a question on flooring

• jill430
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the link and your advice Worthy. I guess I am worried that even with following the recommended installation procedures this combination might not be a good idea. I was hoping there might be someone out there with experience with this combination of flooring and heating system in their home that could tell me if they had any issues. Or even just with pre-oiled flooring and pets/kids. Maybe I will try cross posting in the flooring forum. Thank you both again!