Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Queen vs engineer brick?

Posted by Central79 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 18, 12 at 19:46

Considering using Queen size brick instead of engineer=oversize brick.
Queen is same style,width and height but 1 inch less thick than engineer(oversize);
Queen bricks are less money per brick and use same # of bricks per sq ft of wall.
Would we use less motar with queen?
Would insulation be as good given the queen is less thick so wall would be one inch thinner?
I know when viewed directly face-on you cannot see any difference between the two sizes of brick, but how about around windows or on corners?
Any other issues or pros and cons?
(We are building all brick house in southeast)
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Queen vs engineer brick?

They look a little different at the corners and openings and have a third less bearing at lintels, soldiers and rowlocks. The bricklayers skill will be important. I recommend using adjustable wire ties instead of corrugated ties but I don't recommend corrugated ties for any brick.

o
RE: Queen vs engineer brick?

Hello,
Is insulation not as good on queen given the slightly less thickness compared to oversized?

THanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here