Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Placement of HVAC units and vents in one-story home?

Posted by Central79 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 3, 12 at 19:24

We are designing a one-story house.

One builder says we should place furnace in attic and vents will be coming from ceilings.

The other builder says we should place Furnace in crawl space and vents would come up through floors of the house?

Anyone know pros and cons of these two arrangements?
Which would be optimal?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Placement of HVAC units and vents in one-story home?

The cons with vents being on the floor is that you have more of a chance on dirt and things collecting in them. We had vents in the floor of our 1st home and our first born would put all kinds of things in it. If you live by yourself, you may not have any problems with that.

We have a HVAC in our attic. Although it is a 2 story, most of our vents are in the ceiling of the 1st floor except for our 2 bedrooms and bath upstairs. They are on the wall. I like this a LOT better. The only problems I have with it is that our return is located above the 4th step of the staircase and is 10' above the floor so you have to get on your tiptoes to access it to change the filter and clean the grate. Also, the builders of the house (we bought it as a foreclosure from the previous owner) "forgot" to put the pipe to the drain from the evaporator. So I have a nice little patch in my living room ceiling for all to see.

The pros to the floor vents is that when you have the heater going, then you'll feel warmth a LOT faster than your ceiling vents since heat rises.

Our air return with the floor vents was in the hall and quite loud, so I can't say how the placement in the crawl space would be.

o
RE: Placement of HVAC units and vents in one-story home?

If you air condition, it is a lot more efficient to have the system in the crawlspace.

I have both floor and attic vents and there really isn't any significant difference to me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here