Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sueg118

ICF Concrete Pour - Window openings

SueG118
9 years ago

I hope someone can help settle an argument between myself and my husband. We are building a home with ICF and are just about to pour the concrete up to first floor. We are not using window bucks but have braced the top and sides of the windows. The bottom of the windows has been left open to help fill under the windows first to ensure there are no voids. Now we get to the dilemma.

My husband is not planning on putting any material directly on top of the concrete at the bottom of the window opening but leaving it open to the air. I on the other hand think that as you continue to pour, the concrete will be forced out of the window opening due to the weight of the concrete being added from above and therefore some form of pressure would need to be applied to stop this happening.

Can anyone please help settle an argument before the marriage begins to suffer?!!

Many thanks

Comments (8)

• robin0919
    9 years ago

You might want to post this over at greenbuildingtalk.com on the ICF forum..

• galore2112
    9 years ago

I built my house out of concrete (DIY formwork and I poured the concrete myself with a helper).

I closed off the bottom of the window bucks. I don't have foam on the inside so I can see the cured concrete. It flowed under the buck and completely filled it up. It would have spilled out without the whole bottom buck.

With ICF, I would leave 20% of the bottom buck open (in the middle) in case there's a problem with trapped air or the concrete doesn't flow all the way.

• SueG118
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the advice re greenbuildingtalk.com, I have now posted there as well.

• robin0919
    9 years ago

There are allot of experts there, you'll get great advice.

• mushcreek
    9 years ago

I lined my forms with 2X2's at the bottom of the windows, leaving about a 3" opening, but still having embedded wood to brace the foam and leaving something to attach to for finish work. I put a few cross braces over that to keep the opening from bowing out under pressure. If the concrete is the right consistency, it won't keep flowing out. As they vibrated the mix, I troweled off the excess. As soon as they stop vibrating, it stops flowing. Your first 'lift' will probably only be a foot higher than the window bottoms, and as you come around to do the next lift. the first one will be set enough to stay put.

I don't understand you saying you are not using window bucks. What are you using? If there is nothing but concrete and foam, it will be difficult to mount windows. You also have to prevent the foam from flaring outward under pressure when you fill the forms with concrete.

• Awnmyown
    9 years ago

Same over here, I left a 3" opening in my bottom window buck so that we could vibrate/ram-rod the concrete under this space to prevent air gaps. Which watching the flow of the concrete *would* have happened if we hadn't manually worked it under the window opening. We then troweled it smooth and for added measure screwed a board over the opening to ensure the concrete wouldn't force out.

My concrete supplier said that some builders have been watering down the concrete for the ICF pours to the point where yes, it would flow right out of the 3" opening (because they didn't want to vibrate or deal with that opening). So if you have a REALLY wet concrete, then yes it would come out the opening, but no you wouldn't need to worry about the air gaps as much, and if you have rather solid concrete (mine really required the vibration), you want that opening in the buck and no, it wouldn't really flow out of it in subsequent pours.

• SueG118
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all your replies. Just to let you know the pour went really well. There was no flow over the windows so the mix must have been good. We just took off any excess when the concrete was vibrated and trowelled it flat to the correct level. The system we are using allows the first lift to be poured to first floor level (about 2.4m) so this is why I was worried about the weight of the concrete above possibly pushing out of the windows.

To clear up other points raised in follow up posts, we braced at the sides of the windows to prevent the flare but the system we are using comes with the braces built into the EPS so is very strong and doesn't usually flare. Also with no window bucks the window will be directly attached to the concrete.

Thanks again for all your advice

• Gary6958
    9 years ago

I have ICF blocks. (Insulated Concrete Forms). Any amount for sale.
    Shipped to any country worldwide.

Size: 50â long (127cm), 10â high (25.5cm) and 6â (15cm) wide
    (with a nominal concrete core of 4â (10cm) ).

It is the exact equivalent of 4 CMUs (concrete masonry unit) in area and only weighs 1.25 pounds.
    The forms are stacked without mortar and are interlocked like a Lego Set into which reinforced concrete is placed, creating a wall and foundation with a fraction of the labor of conventional CMU. Please email with details of quantity needed. Country to be delivered and target price to: garyjmcneish@gmail.com