Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kateskouros

putting a wood floor in master bath

kateskouros
14 years ago

it hit me suddenly just yesterday. i've looked at a thousand magazines over the past few years and the only master baths i've truly loved have had wood floors. i never thought of doing it in my own home because it may not be the most practical idea. but why not? i've done wood floors in the kitchen of our last house and we're doing it again in the new build, so, why not a wood floor in the bath? it's not like the kids are going to be splashing around in there, and i could do a tile "carpet" under the tub as well as in front of the vanity. i've always placed bath mats down before using the tub or shower so water is absorbed by the mat.

yes, there could be a leak in a toilet or sink or shower ...but, the same thing could've happened in our kitchen and never has. actually, the only leak we had in our last home was from an upstairs bath when a pipe burst. the bathroom didn't get a drop of water in it ...but the dining room downstairs was trashed.

the very thought of it makes me smile. ridiculous perhaps, or is it just that i want to have what i would love? is anyone else doing a wood floor in a bath? does anyone here have a wood floor in a bathroom?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1435962}}

Comments (12)

• young-gardener
    14 years ago

We are planning to do wood floors and a tile "rug." Nearly all of the inspiration pictures I've saved through the years have had wood. I love the timeless look of it. For the master, it doesn't worry me. Here are the only online pics I've found so far. ( I can't seem to find too many with the tile insets.)

Here is a link that might be useful: bathroom ideas

• kangell_gw
    14 years ago

So here I am...about 2 weeks away from the one year point of the start of my build...hours and hours and hours of research and planning every detail...I'm at the final stretch...and for the first time ever the concept of wood floors in the master bath enters my mind with this thread.

This is a log house. Tongue and groove on almost all ceilings and some interior walls. Hardwood floors every where but the baths and laundry room. NEVER OCCURRED TO ME to put hardwoods in the master bath (or any bath).

What a wonderful idea!!!

It would look better...I wouldn't have to worry about putting in those electric warming mats...it should be cheaper than tile. *beats head for a moment*

I have a hardwood floor in my current kitchen and I splash more water on it than I do in my bathroom with no problems. The exception being when I step out of the shower so I do have one question.

If I put hardwoods in the bath and a basic/fluffy bath rug beside the the shower to step onto, will that be a problem? Would the bath rug need to be hung up each day somehow? Or is this where the 'tile rug' comes into play?

This proves one constant about building...it doesn't matter how much you plan there will always be something you missed!

• cefoster
    14 years ago

HI there!! I would never put hardwood in our masterbath because my husband is worse than the kids with splashing and getting water everywhere LOL!! But we have found tile that looks/mimics hardwood....we have a couple of samples and they are beautiful. That is what we are going to use in the masterbath - because I too, love the look of hardwood.

• Marcia B
    14 years ago

I love hardwood, and we have it throughout most of our first floor, and upstairs hall
    {{gwi:1435963}}

BUT my 2nd favorite thing in our new build is the radiant heated floor in the master bath(1st favorite is master closet laundry).

The heat may not be an issue where your at, but it is so nice getting out of the shower on the toasty floors. We aslo have the radiant in our basement and garages, would have loved to put it whole house, but they don't recommend for over our type of wood floor.

• cefoster
    14 years ago

I am sorry to highjack this thread...but Marciab10 - those floors are beautiful. Would you be kind enough to tell me what kind and the make as I would love them in our new home? Sorry to be a bother. (They look like 5 in wide planks)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

Wood floors are fine, just stay away from oak, especially red oak. Heart pine, mahogany, ash, maple are all water-tolerant, while oaks will water stain badly. (and ammonia darkens them too).
    Casey

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks casey, i'm using american black walnut throughout the house and was hoping to use that in the master. would that fare well?

and about the bath mat: our shower will be on the large side, about 6' across. i was going to install a high towel rack for folded towels (hotel style) so we could easily retrieve a towel and dry off while still inside the shower.

one of my inspiration shots (which for some mysterious reason will not post) has an aubusson rug placed in the center. i was going to see how that might work out by temporarily placing one of our other rugs in there.

• Marcia B
    14 years ago

colleennc~
    Thank you, our floors are 6 inch hand scracped and beveled walnut, no finish just urythaned. We love the way the turned out.

• cefoster
    14 years ago

Simply Beautiful Marcia - thank you for letting me know!!
    I think the black walnut will hold up real well and you are careful about getting up extra moisture. Good luck - I bet it will look stunning!!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

Black walnut starts out as the darkest non-exotic wood, and I don't believe it has any water staining issues to worry about. I think if you finished it with waterlox it could end up spectacular.
    CAsey

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    14 years ago

great! that sounds like a plan to me. thank you again for being the "yes" man! how do we feel about mother of pearl mosaic tile to go along with it? i guess that's another thread...

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz