Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mebke33

How to fix poor flashing job?

mebke33
10 years ago

The exterior of our new home is cement board siding and stone veneer. The siding is above the stone veneer which is topped by a sill. The flashing above the sill appears to have been bent too far and does not rest down on the sill. The sill has a good slope away from he house but the flashing slopes back towards the house and will still collect water. Is using caulking or glue to hold down the flashing a sufficient fix or do more extensive repairs need to be made. The siding guys blame the masons & the masons blame the siding guys. In some places mortar between sills was placed after flashing and pushes it up. However, other areas where there is no mortar the flashing is still elevated. I'm concerned because the last thing I want is to have water penetration of the house or behind the stone.

Comments (12)

• millworkman
    10 years ago

I don't think there is any way of fixing it other than removing back to the flashing and installing it properly sorry to say. And both should be ashamed they actually left it that way in my opinion.

• Brian_Knight
    10 years ago

While I agree with renovator, I put most blame on the siding crew, as long as the ledge has good slope.

Surely the masons could have done better with the mortar joints and cleanup. However, the siding crew shouldnt have installed the flashing at that angle. They should have alerted the GC to the problem to attempt a correction. I bet they could have done a better job by installing the vertical leg higher up on the wall.

You have every right to be concerned and do some rework. The bottom courses need to be removed and have the flashing kick out water where its supposed to.

• worthy
    10 years ago

Duplicate

This post was edited by worthy on Wed, May 1, 13 at 7:51

• worthy
    10 years ago

Duplicate

This post was edited by worthy on Wed, May 1, 13 at 7:50

• worthy
    10 years ago

duplicate

This post was edited by worthy on Wed, May 1, 13 at 7:49

• User
    10 years ago

Rip out the bottom rows of siding and redo the flashing.

• worthy
    10 years ago

If the stone sill is sloped down and there is a drainage plane between the veneer and the sheathing, there may be no water penetration problems.

This combination of materials pits looks against function.

See James Hardie detail below.

This post was edited by worthy on Wed, May 1, 13 at 7:47

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

The siding guys blame the masons & the masons blame the siding guys. I

It's time to call in the GC, who will tell them to stop pointing fingers and figure out how to fix the problem that neither of them is responsible for ... that's part of HIS job.

• southerncanuck
    10 years ago

It's not correct and must be rectified by the GC. I see Worthy's figure 7 provided by James Hardie, and don't agree with it, at all. Moisture driven horizontally by wind will definitely penetrate into the building envelope, how can it not?

If I can stick a pencil into an opening you can be sure water can reach there as well.

• User
    10 years ago

The fact that the OP cannot show us the detail drawings is the root of the problem: there was no detail for the subs to follow.

IMO, until the OP shows us a drawing of the existing condition offering suggestions could complicated the issue.

What is the difference in height between the front and rear edges of the stone and how deep it is? Can water that might be drawn into the joint drain out behind the stone, i.e. is there a cavity behind it with weeps at the bottom?

It is virtually impossible to solve flashing problems from a photograph.

• worthy
    10 years ago

I see Worthy's figure 7 provided by James Hardie, and don't agree with it, at all. Moisture driven horizontally by wind will definitely penetrate into the building envelope, how can it not?

Because, properly detailed, the water flows back out or down the inner rainscreen wall.

But, as noted above, unless there are detailed drawings (or photos) those questions can't be accurately answered without the assembly being partly dismantled.

If I were the builder, and that had gone up when I wasn't on site, it would come down again and be done right.

Illustration of flashing and its integration with layering of weather resistant barrier materials. (Source: Building Science Corp.)

This post was edited by worthy on Wed, May 1, 13 at 17:10