Anyone else hate their selections?

Green Tea
10 years ago

deleted

This post was edited by balor123 on Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 15:18

Comments (26)

• logastellus
    10 years ago

I hear you. it's a problem, especially with national builders.

Was yours one of those? With limited selections and a "design center"?

• chispa
    10 years ago

Sorry you aren't happy, but how did you end up with such a disconnect in what you built and what you really like? My tastes have changed over the years, but nothing as drastic as traditional/rustic vs. modern/contemporary!

Have you looked at the photos on houzz.com? Lots of inspiration and ideas that might spark your creativity. If you have the budget, I might change out some of the finishes now, while you aren't living in the house. Something like tile, is such a mess to do when living through it. We bough a 10 yr old house and ripped out perfectly good floor tile. We tried to live with it for a few months, but it just wasn't us. Well worth the cost and mess to change it out.

Do you have photos of the house and the finishes and furnishings you like? If you posted them here and on the decorating forum you would get lots of opinions and ideas!

• newbie21
    10 years ago

Well it could be worse....... I think I'm really going to regret the floor plan we chose. At least you can redecorate.

• motherof3sons
    10 years ago

I am with you newbie! Our house was built with the intent to age in place. We (I) went so overboard on that theme that it is one big box. Plus, I am a budget miser. No we do not need beautiful columns, no we do not need a room off the kitchen, etc. It is convenient and has gorgeous finishes. It has no flow, no pizazz - in my opinion. DH on the other hand loves it. The garage is out of balance with the rest of the house. Our designer/architect gave us exactly what we wanted.

• Green Tea
    Original Author
    10 years ago

deleted

This post was edited by balor123 on Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 15:18

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

Floor plan layouts and fixed items--built-ins and special equipment, etc.--tend to be expensive (often difficult) to relocate or modify once in place. So these are components that should be carefully considered for agreement before building.

Details, finishes and furnishings (and some equipment such as kitchen appliances and plumbing fittings) are more easily modified or replaced, with less time and expense than fixed items. Folks unhappy with their existing house, or simply wanting a "new look" should start by considering this category of components.

One of the simplest approaches is through use of paint! Old and dark wood trim, doors, panels, etc., can easily be given new life and a much lighter, more colorful appearance by simply painting a light hue. Of course, walls and other finish materials should all be coordinated with the items to be painted. But this is a simple, relatively inexpensive DIY way to change the appearance of interiors and exteriors.

Good luck!

• allison0704
    10 years ago

I'm sorry you're not loving your selections. With the kitchen, you could replace the tiles above the range with something with some color. Or remove completely and replace with your backsplash tile. Then add color and texture with accessories and kitchen items.

Could the Silestone names have gotten mixed up along the way? the Giallo Nova is definitely what you have. But this one - Seleno - is in the same family is more what you described:

{{gwi:1435926}}

How much would replacing the counters cost?

If you want the kitchen to be more modern, you need to use a different paint color than the Kilim Beige.

• Green Tea
    Original Author
    10 years ago

deleted

This post was edited by balor123 on Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 15:19

• chispa
    10 years ago

Ok, I looked at your pictures and what I saw was very different than what you described. I think you guys are having a panic attack! With the right furniture, accessories, light fixtures, etc. the space could look contemporary, light and bright. Really!

• allison0704
    10 years ago

I honestly would just keep going with what you're already doing - don't waste any money redoing anything. It's a spec house. You won't be there a few years. It will fly by!

Like Chispa, I don't think the house is bad as is. Sure, it's not what you want now, but it's almost done. And you said it's like other houses in the area. It should sell quickly/easily when the time comes. Have you considered putting it on the market right away?

• Kathy Harrington
    10 years ago

I have kilim beige in my great room, kitchen trim, ceilings and kitchen cabinets with a glaze. It definitely gives a warm, cozy look. Our granite is also a brown with rust in it. I love the way it looks, but it is not modern, light and bright. If your not willing to pay extra to change it out now, live with it a couple of years. You'll either come to love it or have a better idea about how to make it more your taste.

• athensmomof3
    10 years ago

I think it looks nice - I was expecting a disaster from your description. I think changing the paint color from Kilim Beige to a grey/beige/greige might give you a more updated look. Revere Pewter is a warm grey and can work in both contemporary and traditional homes.

Switching the backsplash wouldn't be hard and you could do something more contemporary - but not out there . . .

• Green Tea
    Original Author
    10 years ago

deleted

This post was edited by balor123 on Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 15:20

• donnagwd
    10 years ago

We were first time builders as well with a regional builder.

Yes, we also felt rushed through a lot of decisions without full information. We moved into our new house last July. The only thing that we're really unhappy with now is the size of our "not-so-great" room. It still feels undersized and it's difficult to find an optimum layout for furniture that is comfortable and efficient.

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

I haven't built a home yet, but I can easily see how this can happen. I don't have a lot of experience with design, only in the past few years becoming homeowners. I think it takes time to be able to envision the whole that will be assembled out of the parts you choose - so you chose elements that on their own you liked, but when assembled together created an entirely different vision than you expected/wanted.

It's OK, I am sure it's still very nice and next time you buy a home - or when you want to renovate this one- you will have that experience to draw on!

• User
    10 years ago

Why does no one consider enlisting a designer for assistance with this? It's only one of the biggest purchases in your life! A few thousand spent on some help will more than pay you back in your enjoyment of the home, as well as a more cohesive appearance for better resale. Remember that the builder's designer works for the builder, and not you. They are in the business of making the builder happy, not you. Making the builder happy consists of getting you to quickly make decisions (even if they are "wrong" ones) so the schedule doesn't get off track.

• Green Tea
    Original Author
    10 years ago

deleted

This post was edited by balor123 on Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 15:21

• kitbun
    10 years ago

You're not alone. Try not to beat yourself up about it. I would guess most people make mistakes or have some regrets.

For the house we're building, I bought a lot of materials in advance trying to scope out closeouts and such but not always thinking through how all of the materials would coordinate with each other. I also made the mistake of buying some very well priced tiles online that I didn't like as much in person when they arrived. I will end up eating some of it or trying to sell on Craigslist. Oh well.

But honestly I think your selections look well coordinated and tasteful. I would not risk painting the cabinets nor would I change out the tiles or counters since you might end up with finishes that clash with each other unless you change out everything.

• boymom23
    10 years ago

I'm worried about a few of my selections (Victorian faucets in chrome, in my my master), but nothing major. I think your photos look nice, and truly, I think you could give the whole house a fresher, more modern look if you just change the paint color! I second the the BM Revere Pewter, or Cumulus Cloud. You'd be surprised how the paint color will change it, and the gray/greiges are very in right now! Good luck, and don't beat yourself up any more! We all live and learn.

• phoggie
    10 years ago

Is there any chance you can sell this spec house and build what you really want? Good luck!

• Green Tea
    Original Author
    10 years ago

deleted

This post was edited by balor123 on Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 15:22

• allison0704
    10 years ago

Your opening post says "I built a spec home as a first time home buyer and didn't know what I was doing." That's why several of us thought you were not staying long. You must have meant you "bought" a spec house.

At one point you had said someone told you this house could sell for 75K more than you paid (somewhere around that $), but several posts have been edited, and that amount is no longer here. If anyone associated with the builder or decorator told you this, I would take it with a grain of salt.

• Green Tea
    Original Author
    10 years ago

deleted

This post was edited by balor123 on Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 15:23

• allison0704
    10 years ago

That's what I gathered when you said you wouldn't be selling/moving. That's good news about the Realtor. I hope now that you've gotten feedback here you're feeling better about things.

• Awnmyown
    10 years ago

To make you feel better, my house isn't even finished (footings) and I'm already freaking out and disappointed in a number of choices! That being said, they were my choices, and I'm content to make do and wait until I can change them. Then again, some are structural and I just remind myself that the learning is part of the charm. Enjoy it, play around with it as it is, and in a couple years the walls will be fingerprinted, chipped and in need of redo, and you can experiment with new colors then! (that's what I tell myself about my floors!)

• pbx2_gw
    10 years ago

My only words of wisdom for all those that follow is that if you are making the purchase/investment of your life - shouldn't you at least get all that you want & not feel pressured into signing up for something fill with regrets?

I know emotions get the best of us to sign on the dotted line & make deadlines but not when there is a 30 year debt & hundreds of thousands of dollars at stake!