Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harmon_gw

Corner fireplace placement issue.

Harmon
10 years ago

I'm trying to fit a fireplace into a corner that's not big enough for one, and I don't want to extend the wall to block the view from the entry into the living room. Will indenting the wall like this work or not? Thanks!

Comments (10)

• Harmon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Or this?

• Harmon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Or my plan C which is moving the entire wall to the left which I think will necessitate reworking the bathroom:

• User
    9 years ago

A fireplace simply doesn't work in that location no matter how much you butcher your layout to try to cram one in. The traffic paths are totally against that ever being used.

• User
    9 years ago

It makes a big difference in terms of allowable clearances to combustibles if the fireplace is wood burning or gas.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Place some furniture in the room first, considering where you might want the fireplace to be, then decide if there's space for one or not.

Reno8 is right...the type of fireplace is critical for how much space is needed for it...

• Harmon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Renovator - The fireplace will be gas. Thanks.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Also, will you have a tv in there? If so, do you want to integrate the tv and fireplace for a single focal point? Or do you want to do built ins so the TV is accommodated next to the fireplace....

DH always disliked corner fireplaces...he felt if you were going to the expense of having one, it should be an important element in the room and be given the space it deserves...

I have seen some corner fps I like, but they can be more of a decorating challenge in terms of furniture arrangement...

• mrspete
    9 years ago

I really like a corner fireplace, but I don't see it working in this plan.

A fireplace should be a focal point, but you're trying to tuck it away, almost out of sight. The seating area won't face it in a comfortable way. It can't go in any of the other corners . . . I would drop the idea of a corner fireplace and go with a "plain" fireplace against the wall towards the master bathroom/closet -- a fireplace on this wall will be "balanced" against the nice wide opening of the kitchen, creating a nice symmetry in the great room. Another option is to return it to the back wall, which would make it a great focal point as people enter via the front door, but that blocks off much-needed light.

Honestly, this fireplace is just one more thing about this plan that's "almost" right. I think you'd be happier in the long run if you went back to the drawing board. Too much here, too little there.

This post was edited by MrsPete on Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 9:51

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

A fireplace in a home of this style should be a statement, not an after thought.

I can see you wanting more light...so what about centering the fireplace on that wall, but leaving the plan and master bedroom entry/layout as is? Then you could have a nice stone fireplace with TV above and make it a real feature from the kitchen, dining area and the living room. Fireplace wall and window wall...great views in two directions and very fairy tale :)

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

Why a corner fireplace? The master walk-in closet has a lot of extra space in the middle, so you could move the entire great room/walk-in closet wall to the left and put in a fireplace flanked with bookcases in the nook.