Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txaggieinargyle

Pleasantly Surprised with Loan Underwriting Time

txaggieinargyle
11 years ago

Just though I would pass this on. After hearing all the horror stories about mortgages these days I was worried that getting the construction loan setup would take a long time.

All my paperwork got to the bank on 4/2 and they just told me that I should expect to close on or before 4/20. That is less than 3 weeks.

I already owned the land so that probably made it easier. Either way I am happy with the process.

4.25% rate for the construction loan (not a jumbo loan)(Texas)

Comments (15)

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

What a great rate!! Congrats! Looking forward to seeing your progress pics :-)

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    11 years ago

Congrats! What part of Texas will you be building in? I'm near Austin.

• txaggieinargyle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

DFW area

• agentslim
    11 years ago

Wow great rate. What bank? A local? Im not finding anything under 5% here in central california!

• txaggieinargyle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes a local bank. Town Square Mortgage.

• auroraborelis
    11 years ago

Agentslim - for great rates in California try US Bank, theirs are as low as 3.5!

• agentslim
    11 years ago

Thanks Laura!

• pbx2_gw
    11 years ago

OP sounds like your 4.25% during construction is also 4.25% for the perm?

Did they lock you in already too?

If so, that is similar to our structure.

One rate throughout the life of the C to P.

• txaggieinargyle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No the perm rate if locked in today would be 3.875% but they won't let me lock until 60 days prior to completion.

• pbx2_gw
    11 years ago

Then that is similar to other financing structure we looked at whereby you lock about 60 days out or could buy the lock guarantee for 1 pt now to hold on any upward movement but the construction rate is at prime or even at a higher personal loan rate. Too rich for our blood.

We decided to go with our current lender for 0 points & an APR of 4.1% effectively for the life of the loan from C to P.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"4.25% rate for the construction loan"

Construction loans are normally held by the originating bank.

They only have to satisfy themselves the risk is acceptable.

Most mortgages are sold into the secondary market.

The buyers there (Freddie, Fannie mainly) have there own rules.
    If the bank packages the notes up they can sell bonds backed by the notes, but that usually takes a very large bank to even think about undertaking.

• txaggieinargyle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

brickeyee:

This was still the best deal i was able to find. The interim rate is 0.5 to 1.0% better than the other options I found. And their perm rate is really competitive with the open market.

• auroraborelis
    11 years ago

By perm rates, do you mean that you are locked into those rates for 30 years?

• abdrury
    11 years ago

"By perm rates, do you mean that you are locked into those rates for 30 years?"

Yes. Unless you chose to refinance at some point. If any of us are refinancing for a lower rate in the future that means something went (or continued to go) terribly, terribly wrong!

• auroraborelis
    11 years ago

Has anyone found a national bank doing decent perm rates? I can't find a local bank in my area (San Francisco Bay) offering this.