Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mastiffmom_85

Marvin Integrity Quote vs Andersen 100's

mastiffmom_85
13 years ago

Hello all-

(crossposted to Windows Forum as well)

I am a lurker (mostly on Kitchens), but I'm coming out of the woodwork as we are preparing for a new build this summer.

We will be GC'ing the build ourselves and are currently working to gather up remaining bids, one of which is windows. Our home is approx 5500 sq ft, and we're building in OK. The climate here can be extreme, especially in the summers, and we will have some big west-facing windows, so we are trying to plan accordingly.

We just got quotes back: $19,600 for the Marvin Integrity full-Ultrex and $11,100 for the Andersen 100s.

My husband thinks the Integrity line isn't worth the $8,500 difference, but I am not so sure and am hoping to get some opinions from you all. We are definitely on a budget, and every dollar saved is important, but of course we don't want to sacrifice quality.

Thoughts?? Thanks so much!

~ Mastiff

Comments (11)

• powertoolpatriot
    13 years ago

I would agree with your husband. The Andersons are excellent quality and more than sufficient especially in OK. Save your money for good kitchen cabinets! :)

• david_cary
    13 years ago

You do know that the 100s are a very new window and not much is known about them? People do seem to like what they see. Limited colors. Single hung only.

There is a lot to think about with windows and they are a big ticket item. Do you have high winds?

• mastiffmom_85
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Now the 100s are available in options other than single hung, but they still only have the white interiors. This is not a huge issue for us as we plan to have white trim throughout.

It IS a new window, and that gives me pause, plus based on what I've read, Marvin is the better company.

You know in the song Oklahoma, where "the wind comes sweeping down the plains"? That's no joke. We have high, high winds frequently, summers with 100-degree temperatures for weeks on end, AND cold, wet winters. It's a climate of extremes.

We want a full fiberglass window, so our options are limited, and we really want to make the right decision.

• chrisk327
    13 years ago

I just want to comment on something,

as far as I understand it, Andersen 100 windows are NOT fiberglass. they are a fiber composite material. what that means I dunno, I'm picturing some wood based wrapped in something with some glue mixed in.

Andersen 400TW series and 400 series woodwright are more along the lines as the Marvin Integrity series. in quality and price point.

having said that, I have not had any experience wiht the 100 series, it wasn't really widely available when I ordered my windows last July. I went with the 400TW series

• mastiffmom_85
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You're correct; I misspoke. I should have said "composite" window.

The Andersens are made from a composite product called Fibrex, which is basically wood mixed with a resin-type material. From what I've read, it isn't as strong as the Ultrex fiberglass that Marvin uses, but I'm not sure if the Ultrex is $8500 more impressive.

We don't want to go with the 400s because we don't want the maintenance with the wood portions of the windows.

I looked over the two quotes closely this morning. The substantial difference is in the fixed glass (solid single pane) picture windows. The Integrity windows are more than double the price of the 100s for these fixed windows. For casements and other opening windows, the prices were not substantially different.

I guess I'm not sure why these fixed windows are more than double the price?

Thoughts??

• mydreamhome
    13 years ago

My only thought is maybe the size of the picture windows were not standard sizes for Integrity. When that happens, alot of the window distributors will sub Marvin Ultimates for just the windows that don't conform. Look closely at the description for each of those windows--if that's what they've done, it will be noted there.

• robin0919
    13 years ago

mast.....you might want to get some quotes for windows that are made locally....not brand names. They can be just as good but you're not paying for a brand name.

• soesoe75
    13 years ago

We just installed Andersen 100s in our new home. Like you we also priced out the Marvin Integrity - the price was nearly double for them. We have 59 windows total and the cost was about $24K for the 100s.
    We had the same reservations with the 100 series being new but after talkign with numerous window dealers and hearing their confidence in the product (they could ahve upsold us to Marvin easily) we decided to proceed with the more cost friendly option. Andersen has been around for ever and I took comfort in that.
    Our windows look amazing inside and out. We went with white interior and the dark bronze ext.
    We are in the Pacific NW lots of rain and very very high winds.
    Hope this helps.

• montel (CA US 10b/Sunset 16)
    13 years ago

We are looking at this exact problem right now - the Integrity All Ultrex looks really nice, but is coming in very high $35k-$45K which is much higher than the Anderson 100 ($28K-$31K).

The only information I was given by one window supplier that might sway me towards the Integrity windows is that the Integrity window panes are of higher quality and the seals are much better and should last much longer - Beyond that is is looks and some better quality in construction that makes the Integrity the more expensive window. We are currently way over budget and are looking for anywhere to cut costs!

• mastiffmom_85
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My DH met with a potential framer yesterday to discuss his bid. Interestingly, the framer said he does not like to (and sometimes will not) install Andersen windows due to a high number of quality control issues at delivery.

This framer comes highly recommended and has a great reputation in the contractor world (we have a family flooring business, so we hear a lot about everyone). DH is starting to sway towards Integrity after this conversation.

Would love to hear any other info/opinions on this subject. Thanks!

~ Mastiff