Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andry_gw

Another fireplace question - bedroom

andry
11 years ago

Hi there all you smart people!

We are trying to figure out if we want a fireplace in the bedroom. We will have one in the family room below (direct vent in the corner). We were thinking of putting one in the bedroom in the opposite corner from the one below (due to layout).

My husband really wants one, but I am not sure. We don't hang out in the bedroom (it will be upstairs) and it will really affect furniture placement.

So does anyone have a fireplace in your bedroom, and do you use it?

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• auroraborelis
    11 years ago

It is nice for ambiance and re-sale, but I'm not sure how much they are ever used, unless there is a sitting room in the bedroom!

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    11 years ago

Talk to your husband about WHY he wants one in the bedroom. Maybe he has romantic fantasies about having the fireplace crackling in the background. If he's really into such a fantasy, it might be worth putting one in to spice things up in the bedroom. (Trying to keep this G-rated here - LOL!)

But if he ONLY talks about resale value, I'd probably try to talk him down. I can't imagine that a fireplace in the bedroom would garner you enough additional resale value to pay for itself...not to mention the hassle of trying to arrange furniture around it for however long you live in the house.

Just FYI, 2.5 years ago we paid right at $3500 for our direct vent and that didn't include paying the tile guy to set granite tile around it nor for the mantle. Adding a nice direct vent fireplace will probably run you about $4500 all together.

On the other hand, we shelled out about that same amount for a cast iron clawfoot tub for my master bath. DH said from the get-go that he would never use it b/c he is simply not a "bath person." So, shelling out the money for the tub was totally a luxury purchase just for me. But DH knew I had ALWAYS wanted a clawfoot tub, went ga-ga anytime we were in a house with one, and had fantasies of long hot relaxing bubble baths. I now have to admit that I've only soaked in the tub maybe a dozen times since we moved in two years ago. Nevertheless, I would still make the same decision about getting one because, even tho I don't actually use it as often as I thought I would, just looking at it gives me a little tingle of pleasure at the memory of those few bubble baths I have taken and the anticipation of more in the future.

Only you and your DH can decide if a fireplace in the bedroom is actually worth it to you.

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

We had a fireplace in the master bedroom of our previous home and NEVER used it once in the six years we lived there.

It looked nice, though.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

We had a gas fireplace in the rustic/romantic hotel room we stayed in, for our honeymoon. Not only was it a wonderful feature of the room, it was turned on with a remote! We loved it and I would like to find a way to include a fireplace in the bedroom, when we remodel our farmhouse.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

I'm so hot all of the time I practically have to use the AC in the winter in the bedroom. Hubby walks in and jokes "welcome to the igloo".

I would never use a fireplace in the bedroom.

As a matter of fact. We have two in this house and I plan to only put one in my next house. Barely use the fps we have.