Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Designer

Posted by DoubleOhHoya (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 29, 12 at 17:33

We are about to break ground and need to find a designer. We already fired our last one, who was recommended by our builder. We found one on our own that seems fantastic, but she's probably about 2x as much as another that was recommended by our builder, who are are not that impressed with. My sense is that a good designer is very much worthwhile. Based on those that have been through this process, is it worth spending extra cash for someone that's very good.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Designer

Someone is who is good might also be more efficient at zeroing in on your preferences and coming up with the right solutions, so the hourly rate doesn't tell the whole story!

o

a designer for what exactly? Interior items?

o

designer for everything - tile selection, fixtures, colors, etc.

o

I think it depends on how much help you need...how decisive you are and how much you want to do yourself. I had worked with a fantastic designer before in my previous house, but in our new build I had done soooo much pre-planning and research that I really just needed someone to bounce ideas off. She was great for stuff like how high I should hang the light fixtures and had great rules of thumb for how many different finishes to ha in the room, etc...but the over-all look was all me. If I hadn't been so sure of what I was doing, I probably would have hired my own, rather than use our builder's ID. As it was...it worked out well and saved money.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here