Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Menards Prepriced Home Reviews

Posted by glamppa (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 16:50

Does anyone have experience building a Menard's (new in town) prepriced home? We are thinking about building H022D-0009 - The Berrybrook. Was there quality problems with the materials in your past experience?? Some of the contractors we have spoke with aren't fans and say the local lumber yards (they have used for years) are much better. A couple of the contractors say they should be fine. Looking for some feedback since this is such a huge investment from us. I understand the is will cost 3x as much when finished and everything is factored in. Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Menards Prepriced Home Reviews

Menards estimates includes all items at the retail price from menards. Desk will give you the estimate for free that lists all needed components.

Lumber was cheaper - if you trust it. Windows were outrageous, because desk used custom Jeld-wen builder grade windows for standard window sizes. I did not get that because window line has a stock size let's say 64x72 instead desk used same line but specified custom size 64x72.

Every single item was at the store price.

But house built solely on Menards parts would scare me, imho.

o

I really appreciate the information. I take it you didn't use the entire plan to build? I was thinking about taking the estimated needed component list and bringing it to my local lumberyard to see if they can get close to matching it. I would rather support them if possible. Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Menards Home

o

Just looked up the plan... Ummm. That garage won't hold many American cars, esp 2 of them. Maybe take the dimensions and go visit some open houses and compare to the plan and to what you find comfortable and adequate. At 19 feet, the garage is too short.

o

I finished building this house four years ago. I didn't get the plans from Menards. We did buy some of the material from them. We made changes, the major one was adding four feet to the width. None of the finishes or fixtures were purchased from them, Our material cost was much higher than their quote, but if you go with everything they spec the price should be in the ballpark.

We really like the house.

o

Did you add to the garage as well?? I would think that could be done pretty easily. What kind of heating/cooling did you use? We live in Northern, MN so it's a pretty big deal. Did you add a basement. I'm really trying to keep the project within $250,000 and would like a basement if possible. What did you use for an exterior finish?

o

We extended the whole house from the stairs towards the kitchen the 4 foot, so the kitchen, garage, and the upstairs bedrooms were all larger. I have gas forced air, but also have in floor radient heat in the basement, garage, and the first floor. We live in Michigan and only use the radient heat during the winter.
We used veener brick like the drawing and the siding is cement board.

We hired part of the build and did alot of it ourselfs. What your labor cost and the finishes will determine your project cost.

o

The 4' extension is a good idea. We were hoping to have an open kitchen to the dining room. Is it easily possible to square off the back left part of the kitchen and switch walls that contain the fridge?? It would be on the left hand side when looking at the PDF instead of right leaving an opening between kitchen and dining room. What do you think of that?? Thanks for your help!

o

We are in Duluth. I've liked a couple of the Menards plans, but I wouldn't use their materials. Which builder have you talked to?

o

"That garage won't hold many American cars, esp 2 of them. Maybe take the dimensions and go visit some open houses and compare to the plan and to what you find comfortable and adequate. At 19 feet, the garage is too short."

A GMC/Chevy Suburban is 18.5 ft long, so 19' is going to be fine for the vast majority of american cars. Pretty much the only thing that won't fit is a long bed truck with a bigger cab.

If you're a car family, you'll be fine. If you want a big truck, you wont.

o

A couple in the Virginia area. A to Z construction and Northwoods construction to name a few. Building isn't cheap in Northern MN that's for sure!!
You recommend anyone reasonable out of Duluth area??

o

The most reasonable around here are the bigger ones like Billman Construction and Wausau Homes. I got a reasonable bid from Zierdan Builders and he does nice work that I've seen. I wouldn't hesitate to use any of them. We will have a parade of homes in a couple of weeks that usually feature the first 2 and sometimes Zierdan.

o

How big of a house are you looking at?? Are you doing a basement? Does Billman handle everything everything internally (basement, excavation, electric, etc??)

o

glamppa,

As for the kitchen, we did exactly what you suggest. The garage is finished and heated, we use it for motorcycle, lawn tractor, ect.
never park a car in it. To use as a garage, it needs to be deeper.

o

Yes, all those builders provide everything. We are doing a mostly finished basement. I'm not settled 100 percent on a plan but it will likely be around 4000sf. We have a large family with 7 kids! Billman will also design your house for free and do the blueprints if you use them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here