Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Secret bookshelf door's roller will ruin floor-help with support

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 11, 12 at 16:26

the cabinet maker who is making the secret bookshelf door in our library said that he needs to put the bookshelf door on a roller to help support its weight. He suggests this roller will mar the wood floor with continued use. Since this door will lead into our computer room it needs to be opened often and we are not sure how to properly support this door's weight without ruining the wood floor its roller goes over. Any ideas? thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Secret bookshelf door's roller will ruin floor-help with supp

a) Stronger hinge/frame: no need for roller.
b) Inlay brass track in floor for wheel.
c) Use a normal door.
Casey

o

My cabinet maker was able to do it with large hinges. It is strong enough for me to stand on the cabinet while it swings.

Let me know if you want me to see if I can identify the size/brand/quantity of the hinges...I'm not near them right now.

We had to trim the bottom of it after we added the area rug, so keep that in mind.

From finire

From finire

o

Stronger hinges for the load.

Soss invisible hinges are available in larger sizes.

Use more hinges to keep the load per hinge reasonable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soss invisible hinges

o

Milz - Do you remember the paint color on your trim in that room? I love the deep color!

o

gorgeous room, Milz. thanks, brickeye--i'll pass this along to my builder!

o

I'm sorry to hijack, but Brickeyee on your link on page 10., I have a question. The magnetic door stops on that page, do you know anything about them??

Are they are better alternative to the typical doorstop, and hinge-pin doorstop with rubber tip that wears out?

o

Paint color is Benjamin Moore Fairview Taupe

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/fairviewtaupe

o

Thank you! That is one of the colors I looked at before and wound up choosing Alexandria beige instead. Love the deep color!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here