Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mom2boyss

Help fix this roof looks horrible did not turn out like plan

mom2boyss
11 years ago

Home roof did not turn out like plan
How to get rid of this big roof triangle ?
Any ideas please. Other than a bull dozer?
I really hate it.

Comments (34)

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Which triangle (you have several)?
    And, does your entry roof nearly touch the roof gable to the left of it in the picture? You may have some issues with water (though you look to be in a dry climate).

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

The time to fix the issues was as the planning stage.

• mom2boyss
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was hoping we could add something I don't know it's not anything like the front of the house I picked out
    The part I am talking about is the shingled triangle part of the roof.
    Husband said we moved a wall so this is what it looks like now.
    Help anyone ?
    Thank you

• Oaktown
    11 years ago

Do you mean the clipped gable above the small window? Has your architect or builder explained why that was added, e.g. maybe to satisfy zoning setbacks (sky/daylight plane restrictions)? I think that information would be helpful before you start changing things around.

If you end up keeping it -- I've seen houses where clipped gables were incorporated very beautifully into the overall design of the house.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Clipped gable house photos ideabook[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/clipped-gable-roofs-extend-traditional-exterior-style-stsetivw-vs~4816960)

• Apolonia3
    11 years ago

I have seen a few house plans with a similar roofline and I don't think it looks that bad. Probably once the house is finished and landscaped you won't notice it so much. It will probably only be noticable to you, because that's not what you had in mind. Good luck!

• mom2boyss
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not the clipped part its the point that is above the ridge
    Thanks
    Husband is contractor

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

Your husband is the contractor? I guess firing the contractor and hiring another isn't an option?

I suppose you could add a small gable dormer to break up the large hip mass, resembling the other gables visible from the front elevation.

The baby hip on the front dormer is really visually disturbing to me. It should have been a normal gable like all the rest. Or, conversely, all the gables should have had a baby hip on them. There's just no consistency where there should be.

Perhaps a nice dinner with the contractor and some wine with the conversation?

Good luck on your project.

Good luck on your project.

• mom2boyss
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is the back view
    Thanks again

• renovator8
    11 years ago

Complex gables and hips rarely fit well together but it seems to be what contractors and amateur designers like to use these days. I don't know if it is because it allows the use of inexpensive roof trusses yet retains the ever popular multiple front facing gables or if mixing French and English roof forms was the last architectural taboo yet to be broken on a big scale.

I don't know how you can bring a sense of order and purpose to the house without rebuilding a major part of the roof but getting rid of the jerkinhead clipped gable would help a lot.

• mom2boyss
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone I just wanted to love this house but all I see is the roof problems.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

If you get any rain at all, I'd be more concerned about getting the water away from the foundation where those roofs come together on both sides of the front porch. In our area this would be a major problem....

• jimandanne_mi
    11 years ago

I totally agree with AnnieD, if you have rain in any decent amount.

Anne

• jimandanne_mi
    11 years ago

I totally agree with AnnieD, if you have rain in any decent amount.

Anne

• Linda Gomez
    11 years ago

I think that once you get siding on the house, your eye will be drawn away from the glaring triangle. Horizontal siding will move the eye from side to side.
    Doors and windows and trim will be more of a focal point.

• mrspete
    11 years ago

It looks kind of like pyramids in the dessert. Not helpful, I know.

For what it's worth, I like simple rooflines, but this one looks like most of the other very complex rooflines these days, which are very much in style. I think once the house is completed and the roof isn't the only thing upon which to focus, it'll sort of "fit into itself".

• graywings123
    11 years ago

What does the house plan look like?
    Maybe the house is just in an ugly duckling phase of construction that will pass.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

" this one looks like most of the other very complex rooflines these days, which are very much in style."

With plenty of valleys to collect debris that requires clearing and opportunities for leaks as water ruses down, across the valley, and then under the shingle on the other side y from a large expanse of roof.

Do you ever get heavy rain or thunderstorms?

• bridget helm
    11 years ago

i too, am not a fan of complex rooflines that seem to be going up everywhere these days. however, i don't find yours offensive to my eye as i do many of the others. i'm assuming its the highest point that sticks up above and in front of the big hipped roof that is bothering you?? if so, i can't visualize any way to "fix" it in this stage of the game.

it's obvious to you now because of the stage of construction the house is in. it won't be so noticeable when you are finished.

• mom2boyss
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I hope it gets better with brick, rock and windows. We do get storms.(oklahoma weather)
    Thanks again

• dadereni
    11 years ago

I'm glad this bothers you but I'm sorry it's on your house.

I'm going to address your original question instead of telling you you'll forget about it or make peace with it. Yes, to fix it you'll likely have to use the other side of the hammer.

1. To do it without changing your house's footprint you would probably either change the offending portion of the roof (and likely the ones in front of it) by making a shallower slope, or raise the main ridge by making the walls taller or the slope steeper. But as you've already seen, changes to one part of a design can ripple through and have unwanted effects elsewhere so to fix a problem like this...proceed with caution. At least test in Sketchup before you commit to anything. You'll be able to consider immediately the effect of changes on the whole massing of the house and elevations. If you haven't used it, (free) Sketchup is really easy to learn.

2. Was this from moving a wall in a stock plan? It might be more costly in terms of time and materials to revert to the prior design by moving back the wall but aesthetically this might be the safer solution if the original design had integrity.

3. There is a third way: I'm reminded of the inexpensive ground level solution to an eyesore, which is to plant a tree in front of it. The equivalent here would be to disguise the problem with some sort of additional roof feature. A cupola would be one example. I'm not necessarily endorsing it or saying it would be easy to design something compatible with the rest of the house and make it appear intentional, but something like this could help to mitigate the problem.

In your favor it appears more unsightly in the rear view, but from all around it does disrupt any hierarchy of forms you might have otherwise had. I've seen this exact thing on finished houses and it always draws my eye. Would I fix it? Yes.

Anything is possible if you and your husband have the time, money, and will to make changes--and other parties that may need to be involved are ok with it (bank, engineer, authorities having jurisdiction). Good luck.

• southerncanuck
    11 years ago

I don't know if it looks odd or not, but I count at least 8 valleys from that elevation, I would be more concerned with leaks, and it will leak, eventually if not meticulously inspected and maintained.

• mom2boyss
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I would say for sale sign in two years. But it is on 60 acres with creeks and a beautiful pond we love. So I just wish he would of taken more time or it could be fixed.

• ontariomom
    11 years ago

Mom2boyss,

When we were are at your stage of construction DH and I were both horrified by the steep gable roof on our garage that from close up partially blocked the bedroom dormers behind. The 2D elevation pictures the architect had designed had look good to us, but the real life 3D house was upsetting to say the least. The moment my DH saw it he said that roof (garage roof) is coming down! Well that is exactly what we did. First we showed the results to GW and almost all posters were equally horrified., we received many good options to consider. Then we had DH's brother who is an architect (but not the one who designed the first roof) draw up many versions of Sketch-up to show what different roofs would look like. We picked the one we liked the best and demoed the ugly garage roof and never looked back.

Now that was us, and your roof is no where near as off as our roof was. However, in the end if you do decide to change one part of the roof I did not want you to feel no one else had ever had to go back and demo something that they had just paid to build. It happens, and I learned the hard way how important Sketch-up is to help visualize an elevation.

No doubt your house will look tons better with cladding material on. Good luck with your decision.

Carol

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

You can probably make it look better, but it will take time, money, and an architect and engineer. Are you willing to demolish what's there after getting some professional help? Would you be able to stop the build while your team worked on a solution? Would your bank allow the halt in construction?

• hdubtx
    11 years ago

I'm in TX and honestly a ton of new homes look just like that around here!

• ppbenn
    11 years ago

You have three gables in the front of the house. And the offending big hip behind them? I would bring the big hip forward OVER the other three, turning it into a big gable and eliminate all the valleys and that "why is it there" baby hip.
    Then ADD some of the timber effect that you have in the back of the house. You could then have a better covered front porch. This may help to have some design cohesiveness to your to your house front to back.
    Seems like it might work better than what you have going on with all the valleys and gables.

• mom2boyss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone! I will let you know what we decide.
    I am just so disappointed.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

The worst offender is the porch roof; it is locked in a fight with it's twin neighbor on the left. I'd scrap the porch gable, do a detailed flat roof, Federal style with nice columns, perhaps an arch like this to relieve all the straight lines.

The roofing material would need to be suitablefor a flat roof, and the flashing into the main roof would need to be handled well, but you have problems on that score right now with the conjoined twin eaves.
    Casey

• rosie
    10 years ago

Momto2boys, maybe it's been addressed, but if seeing the apex of the clipped gable rising above the roofline is what's bothering you, raise the grade in the area where it does that as one approaches the house. This will alter the angle of your sight line and drop the apex below the roof line.

All you need is inches, so it could be done extremely subtlely, or you could conceivably even create a graceful separation between front garden and street by creating a path approaching between two gentle berms, and raised a little itself as it courses through.

Another outside option, one that can fix far larger problems than this, is to strategically place a beautiful tree or trees. There are few front yards so lovely, and very few houses so beautiful, that they wouldn't benefit from this.

Perspective can be your friend, helpful in a whole bunch of ways. :)

• pors996
    10 years ago

Looks similar to mine.

• Lynda Crockett
    2 years ago

Have them clip off the tip and make another vented ridge like the one behind it so it's flat looking from the front then your clip cable will be the showstopper instead of the giant pyramid behind it.

• cpartist
    2 years ago

Why are you pulling up a post from 2013?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

An oldie but a goodie.