Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akshars_mom

Would not having a window in the master bathroom a deal breaker f

akshars_mom
10 years ago

We are currently working on the plan for our house with an architect and because of the constraints of the narrow lot we need to make some compromises. So if we decide to go with master bathroom with out a window would this be deal breaker for a potential buyer? We plan to stay in the house for 10 years or more but we want to keep resale in mind if we ever have to sell.

Comments (24)

• mountmerkel
    10 years ago

I don't think it's a deal breaker, but what about installing a skylight or solar tube to bring in some natural light? Then you could use some large mirrors to brighten up the space.

• niteshadepromises
    10 years ago

I think it would be for a lot of people. While some might not necessarily miss the light, the inability to open a window for fresh night-time air would be sorely missed here

• gamarcar
    10 years ago

We did a remodel that didn't allow for a window. While not an ideal situation, it didn't seem to slow down the offers on the house when we put it on the market. I would think it depends whether other houses in the area/price range have masters with windows. Will you have any other upgrades in the master that might make up for the lack of window? I also think a sky light or solar tube would help as well as a high quality/quiet vent fan and excellent lighting.

• mrspete
    10 years ago

It's not ideal, but if the rest of the house appealed to me, thus one thing wouldn't be a deal breaker.

I'd rather have no window than a skylight or tube thingy. Right or wrong, my perception is that they're a problem waiting to happen.

• akshars_mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mountmerkel, Thanks for the suggestion of skylight/solar tube. I am not sure why that did not even occur to me. If we do end choosing the option with now window we will use a skylight or solar tube.

niteshade, We are in a city lot with the houses very close by. the lot size is 105 feet * 61 feet. So even though the master bedroom would face the back yard I am not sure i would personally open the window much.

gamarcar, We are in California (bay area). The land cost is very high and what we are doing is a major remodel/addition. So at the end of the project the house should be around 1.5 million but the houses even in this price range in the area are in no way in the luxury range. We would still be mid range for this area. If we do end up with out a window we will surely look into solar tube as a natural light source.

• akshars_mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

MrsPete, I just saw your response. The no solar tube/sky light is the because of leakage issues? Or is there anything else I am missing?

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    10 years ago

Not having a window in the master bath would probably not be a total deal breaker if I were looking to buy a home and I liked the rest of the house. But it would be a negative. I'm one of those people who loves natural light - the more the better. Solartubes and mirrors can certainly help brighten up an interior bathroom though so if that is your only option, then go for it. But, if possible, I still would want a window.

Is the problem that the masterbath needs to go on the interior of the house where cannot have an exterior wall? Or, is it simply going to be too small to have space for a window? Or is the problem that the masterbath will be on an exterior wall where the only view would be the side of a neighbor's house and neighbors might be able to look in?

If the latter, I would probably still include a window but would glaze it with a translucent or semi-opaque glass. Maybe a gorgeous stained glass window over the bathtub?

If the problem is that the bath is going to be rather small so there is really no room for a window, consider putting transom windows above the vanities or above other fixtures. In the image below, I would probably have set the transoms higher so that the mirrors could be taller - but this gives you the idea....

[Traditional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by Saint Charles Kitchen And Bath Stonebreaker Builders & Remodelers

And, if the masterbath will not have any exterior walls, I have seen houses where transom windows or a stained glass window were put into the wall between the masterbath and masterbedroom to very good effect. Or opaque transom windows were set high on a wall leading to a hallway. Properly done this can totally disguise the fact that the bathroom has no windows to the outside. In the image below, the bathroom actually has a window to the outside but it also has transoms above the vanities that look out into the masterbedroom.

[Modern Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/modern-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2105) by Belmont Architect Hart Associates Architects, Inc.

Here's another with translucent windows between bath and hallway...

[Modern Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/modern-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2105) by San Francisco Architect Levy Art & Architecture

just some ideas

• akshars_mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bevangel, The master bathroom may not have an exterior wall in one of the options provided by the architect. So I think the suggestions in the last two pictures would work well.

I will start a thread with the Plan once I receive it from the architect to see if I there is something else we can do for avoiding the no window in the bathroom.
    Thanks for taking the time to provide the pictures.

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

"the inability to open a window for fresh night-time air would be sorely missed here"

A bathroom without an exterior window is required to have a ventilation fan.

• mrspete
    10 years ago

Yes, i'd be concerned about leaking.

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

Yes--a clear deal breaker. That would make the bedroom a closet in reality.

Good luck on your project.

• lolauren
    10 years ago

No, it wouldn't be a deal breaker at all as long as you have ample lighting otherwise. If the lighting is dim, I would think twice.

• akshars_mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Virgil, Just so there is not confusion I was talking about a bathroom not bed room.

Brickeyee, U are correct we will need to have a ventilation fan. We do plan to have this if we have a window or not.

lolauren, Yes if we do go this route we will make sure we will have ample lighting.

• robin0919
    10 years ago

In that price range even in CA, I would think it would be a deal breaker. Talk to several Realtors.

• njasmine1
    10 years ago

Short answer Yep.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

We have 2 solar tubes and neither of them have leaked.

I think it might be a deal breaker depending on the area. In the city with people used to apartment living, many bathrooms have no windows as they save the windows for the living spaces. So nearer an urban environment, it may be more acceptable.

But for a custom suburban or rural home, it would seem to be something that could be solved so it would remain a "why did they do that?"

• mrspete
    10 years ago

Seems like you're getting half-and-half answers here, and IF this sample is representative of the whole, it looks like lack of a window will disuade SOME of your potential buyers, but not all.

I personally maintain that when the whole house is being considered, this one detail -- though it would likely be penned into the negative list -- will become one of many factors and will not be a "make or break".

As for whether the solar tubes leak or don't leak -- remember that perception is just as important as reality. If I, the buyer, fear that it'll leak, that is reality in my mind. Just keep in mind that some buyers will write solar tubes in the positive category, others will write it in the negative category. The same thing could be said of many other things: a certain type of entryway, a front-facing garage, a swimming pool. Some people will see these things as positives, others will see them as negatives.

• bird_lover6
    10 years ago

If the rest of the house is to my liking, and the bathroom is otherwise well-ventilated and well-lit, it wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me...especially in an urban area.

I have a nice big bathroom window that overlooks my neighbor's house. Needless to say, it is always covered and I never bother to open it.

• akshars_mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for the great feedback I appreciate it. My husband and I talked about this yesterday and decided that we will have a window in the master bathroom. But the responses have still been very useful as there will not be an window in the guest bathroom and powder room.

CamG, Thanks for the the info on your parents Master bedroom. We will look into two light sources as you said.

Annie, Thanks for the feedback on Solar tube. I have seen these in a lot of houses in our neighborhood because of the small lot sizes. Some times there is no other option when we do not have windows in certain area's like the foyer/bathroom and so on.

Mrs.Pete, Yes you are right bathroom with out a window can be considered a negative but hopefully now that it will be a guest bathroom it will be less of a negative.

Bird_lover6, Like you in our current house we have windows in all bathrooms but have never opened them because they face the neighbors.

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

Ooops! Bathroom without a window can be designed and illuminated to be very appealing, IMO. Not a deal breaker.

• andry
    10 years ago

Our house had no windows in any bathroom! We put a solar tube in the master, and LOVED it, let in lots of light, and didn't affect privacy. Never had any sort of leak issue.

In my current temporary house, bathrooms again have skylight but no window. Don't miss it at all.

• mrspete
    10 years ago

I have a similar question:

My master bath will be 12' long with a good-sized window at the far end over the tub. I'm considering using a glass-at-the-top door (not clear glass, obviously, but some sort of opaque glass) to bring in more light from the other side. This glass door would open in to a back hallway and would be positioned across the hall from a sliding glass door opening into the back hallway; thus, it'd bring in a decent amount of light.

I do like rooms in which light enters from two different sides. It makes for a nicer room.

Like or don't like?

• akshars_mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Virgil.

MrsPete, I think having a glass at the top of the door is good idea. So a Like from me :)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler