Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ibewye

Has anyone tackled a septic system install.

ibewye
11 years ago

I'm considering trying to go my own septic system. I've read up on them quite a bit and have all the requirements from code enforcement. I have limited excavation experience but catch on quickly. I'm already planning on digging the ditches for geothermal installation, so equipment is not an issue. I just think it could save 6-8k by doing it myself. I realize I won't be as fast but it's not critical at this point. One last know, the area of the septic will be going in as a wide open field without any underground utilities around, no powerlines, not even trees in the way. Has anyone tried this and ran into something unexpected, Is it worth the savings?

Comments (15)

• LOTO
    11 years ago

I am sure that some states/counties have strict rules on who can install a septic system and the design of them. I am building on 30 acres and my septic install (conventional tank and lateral lines) is only costing $5,000.00 and I am not even considering installing it even though I have installed several septic systems years ago.
    Installing a conventional system is not rocket science but you should check with the county first. Where I am at a perc test or soil analysis is even required and no inspection after installation either....just a permit and it is free.
    If you are going to dig for the geothermal anyway and have the time 6-8k is a good savings..installers must make a bit more profit in your area as mine is only 5k installed.
    I am also going geothermal but drilling wells.

• mom2samlibby
    11 years ago

Check with your state dept of enviromental quality. In Nebraska it has to be designed by an Engineer or someone who has passed a test as a certified installer. It is important to have a perculation test on the soil. Soil too sandy or gravel will drain too fast and you will contaminate the ground water. Soil with too much clay and it may not drain fast enough. Both can be amened, and should be done by someone with soil knowledge.

• ibewye
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for answers. I'm in NY and basically the perc test is required and the soil and water district for the county pretty much spell out. The cost of the system is expensive due to the clay we sit on up here.

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

When stuff goes underground (septic, well, geo-thermal heating sources, foundation, site drainage, etc.) one wants it done once and done right. Unless you have a high level of competency and experience with these things, the better place to reduce expenses may be in above ground construction work.

On the other hand, if you are a died-in-the-wool hands-on tinkerer, go for it and see what happens in 2-3 years from now.

Good luck with your project.

• ibewye
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I appreciate the feedback, I'm not familiar with the phrase "died in the wool" maybe you met "dyed", regardless I agree with your opinion on wanting things done right. I looked at ways to save some money, and the septic system is upward of $8000-$10000 the cost of the the ditches for geothermal is close to $6000. Both seemed like something I could do on my own and as long requirements are met, and i was sure to ask questions when I run into a problem I'd likely save close to $6k-$8k. I have installed many buried electrical conduits commercially so I know the precautions to take when backfilling and know what to look for before I bury things, the septic I would have somebody double-check before I proceeded.to be safe. On the other I wouldn't dare try my own foundation, drainage , or even grading as I think these are much more dependent on experience and would be to risky for me think I could. That being said, what I had hoped to learn when I posted the question is whether a septic Install is more complicated than what it seems like which is basically meeting the requirements for fill, tank size and slope of pipe to ensure it will function correctly.

• worthy
    11 years ago

If you have experience operating heavy machinery, you can save on that aspect. But once you figure in the cost of renting equipment and the extra time it'll take you versus an experienced operator, the savings usually vanish.

A pas de deux of mini-excavator and track loader Bobcat.

• khinmn92
    11 years ago

The septic installation in and of itself might not be too complicated, it's the design of the system itself that is the most critical. I agree with neroselover there is more to the septic system than the tank, fill, and pipe slope. You need to have a good understanding of the topography of your soil and local conditions and that is where a certified designer is important. If not taken into consideration you could easily contaminate your ground water and cause other problems. Here in MN, you can install your own system on your own land, but I think the design must be completed by someone certified in this type of work and then must be reviewed & approved by local authorities before, during, and after installation.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Well, Dad liked to dig. Dad was beyond frugal. So when he put on the addition to our house, he dug the foundation and the septic tank hole plus the 3 dry wells by hand. I remember him wrapping chains around a giant boulder and using the jeep to pull it out of the hole...the front end of the jeep was coming off the ground it was so big. But that was Dad.

We had our buddy do ours, but he's in the excavation business and has decades of experience running machines and has his own equipment.

The design is the critical thing and then you have to execute it to the required specs. Keep in mind that regardless of how it gets done, it's most important that it be done right as you don't want to have to go dig the darn thing up again...then you've saved nothing. One loose pipe connection can cause issues. Rolling a too-big rock onto a pipe and crushing it can cause issues.

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 8:53

• popeda
    11 years ago

Building on solid rock, we would not have been able to do our own aerobic septic system. But the county uses the permits for a cash cow ($500) and the required engineers around get another $500 to design it even though after a while, you know they use the template for this area and take 10 min. to roll it out of the printer. It was over 8k before it was in ground and ready to roll. I paid extra to get his rock trencher to cut me some ditches for water system pipes, so in the long run I was glad he was out here. It torqued me a bit when the system computer failed and their 24-hr service promise ran to 2 1/2 days. That's too common these days, more concerned pre-check time than after.

Do whatever you can. The fallback is getting the pros out later if you have to. Where's the loss other than some aggravation? If you have money to burn, no problem, but if you don't and can save money, do it. Check out the regs, do the research, and then give it your best. The pros might not give their best.

• bungeeii
    11 years ago

You mentioned the c word. Clay.
    The conventional method here is to pay a company to haul in sand and build an "engineered" field. Try as I might, I could not find a more economical way of building my own field. Even with a backhoe attachment already purchased for my tractor, I was still money ahead to just pay the excavators to haul in all the sand and gravel and build the field themselves.

• nostalgicfarm
    10 years ago

When we replaced our septic system, we hired an individual who helped plan where the new septic would go and order the system, etc. he then hired a separate excavation guy. I figured the septic guy made about a grand. In our bed build, I would envision hiring a good septic guy, and doing our own excavation/fill back in.

• nostalgicfarm
    10 years ago

When we replaced our septic system, we hired an individual who helped plan where the new septic would go and order the system, etc. he then hired a separate excavation guy. I figured the septic guy made about a grand. In our future build, I would envision hiring a good septic guy, and doing our own excavation/fill back in.

• MFatt16
    10 years ago

Definitely check your area rules and regs. Here you have to be licensed and the designer cannot install his own design.

• Awnmyown
    10 years ago

I'm doing the same thing (self-install) in my area, which like you, requires a perc test and soil analysis. Plus a permit up here, but you're allowed to do your own on your own land. I managed to score the *same* manual used in our septic installer's course for certification, and the 3-day (THREE DAYS is all the training required for anyone to become a certified installer here), was more about what a field is, then proper slope and installation.

I'd recommend a chamber type system, as they're much easier (imo) to install then a pipe system. My local seller (the 2nd one...the first didn't want to lose the business of pro installers by helping little old me), was actually willing to help me clean up my septic design (I made it based on everything i learned, he sat down and improved it), and even gave me his number to call should I have any questions all weekend long.

Seriously, NOT as complicated as they make you think. Heck, my dad's first septic field failed 3 times in the first 10 years and he had it done by a pro. Redid it himself finally and it's gone another 15 without issue. Go figure.

• nanj
    10 years ago

This sounds like spam, but it isn't - I've been a member for years. I've been researching septic systems and have emailed with a representative from Orenco who was incredibly helpful. For our particular situation, he recommended a certain type of leach field product made by Infiltrator Systems, Inc. which looks to be a system you could tackle.

As with all onsite waste water treatment systems, check with your local regulatory authority for compliance with the regulations.

Here is a link that might be useful: Video on installation - Infiltratror Systems, Inc.