Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redheadeddaughter

Vote for my windows? Cottage sash or regular sash?

I'm a little crazy for the cottage sashes, but it does limit the amount of ventilation you get. I think with so many windows it's less of a concern, but I also don't want it to bug future buyers. (Of course this is our forever home, but just in case ;:) Also, it's easier for a shorty like me to operate (the window headers are at 8'). Will you help me decide? Maybe just the first story? The price is the same either way.

Here are the cottage sashes I drew in:

The original with regular sashes linked below.. (this version before we removed the front door sidelights and shed dormer)

Here is a link that might be useful: original

Comments (15)

• jdez
    9 years ago

I think this would be a personal preference thing. For me, I would want the regular sash because it is what appeals to me, but, if I was going for an overall cottage-like style and appearance, the cottage sash would be the way to go. So, simple traditional house - regular sash and cottage type house - cottage sash. That is, if it was for me.

• mrspete
    9 years ago

I like the look of the cottage sash, but I'm not crazy for it. I don't think it would affect your resale, either pro or con.

I'd assume that this, being less popular and thus more expensive to stock, would cost more. If it costs more, I'd nix the idea. It's not a big deal in the long run -- not once everything is put together in the house.

And the diminished ventilation would be a no-go for me. I like to have open windows and lovely breezes through the house.

• redheadeddaughter
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh I like the Oriel. I've only heard it called a reverse cottage. But that is available also with the windows we have chosen for the same cost as the regular sash, which really surprised me.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

I'd prefer Oriel too...

On ventilation... Will you have central air? How frequently do you really have your windows wide open? (disclaimer: I live in Seattle area. 2 things about that--we have a lot of rain so windows don't get open frequently; we also do not have A/C, so some times of the year, windows open is important.)

• redheadeddaughter
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's 2 votes for Oriel! Thanks for commenting everyone. I think in my mind I was imagining this window being easier to open, but sketched out the regular cottage sash instead. My mind is regularly upside down like that these days it seems!

Kirkhall: We will have AC, since last summer nearly every day we visited the property was at or over 110 degrees! My husband is a hardy midwesterner (which I love) and we'll likely use the windows quite a bit in the mornings/evenings, I just don't think we'd push them all the way to the top very often with the full sash. But likely I'm just trying to justify my infatuation with these cottage windows. ;)

Mrs Pete: We do need to custom order all our windows as tempered units because of a special fire code in our area. So you may be right about the cost for a normal build with regular glass... if it's in stock/inventory I'm sure the price would be less.

• dadereni
    9 years ago

Besides how each would look on the elevation, think about on the interior where the check rail will be--if there are windows you plan to sit next to or stand at looking out, you might not want the check rail right at eye level.

• lyfia
    9 years ago

I like the cottage and with the divided lights on only the top part. This way the windows have some interest, but the view is not interrupted in any way or form when sitting and looking out and depending on how far from the window you are even standing there might not be anything blocking the view.

Here is a link that might be useful: see last pic in this post

This post was edited by lyfia on Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 16:41

• mrspete
    9 years ago

I'm curious about the fire code /special window requirement. What's the purpose?

• lyfia
    9 years ago

MrsPete - check this link out

Here is a link that might be useful: California Window code requirements

• thisishishouse
    9 years ago

What about going with standard and using some cottage windows as an accent in a focal area? It depends on your floor plan. We have a bump-out for an eating area off the back of our kitchen/fam rm where we're going with cottage windows. It'll make the area distinctive, and highlight the views out back.

• redheadeddaughter
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oicu812 - what a neat idea. We have 3 window seat areas where this might work... I'm going to sketch it out!

• redheadeddaughter
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In case anyone is reading this who needs tempered glass like we do... the cost was only about $50-75 more per window depending on the company. Not too bad unless you have 66 windows like we do!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

Hi,
    reverse cottage for sure, and only for the bigger windows near the center; the smaller ones to the left should be standard 6/6 or whatever, and made 10% wider so overall the "pane" size stays closer to the big windows.
    The reason the configuration was developed was based on glass size; panes were shipped out in standard sizes, like 8x10, 8x12, 10x14, 12x16, etc.. So the window sash sizes were based around modules of those standard precut glass panes. The 9/6 configuration was always proportioned on the glass sizes, as would have been the 6/6 windows on the same house; if you keep this in mind as you size the windows you can get a very subtle and authentic look.
    Casey

• mrspete
    9 years ago

Wow, I had no idea windows could be subject to codes because of the possibility of fire. I have trouble believing they'd make much of a difference, but the law is the law.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz