Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help with dental moulding on exterior bump out... pics included!

Posted by graceshan (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 13, 12 at 13:33

So the front of our house has dental moulding and I really love it:

The above photo is with primer only but it's actually painted white. For some reason I don't have a photo of the whole house after paint I guess, but here's a partial pic:

So for the bump out above the garage, we were supposed to have something similar but I realized they had done this instead (again, not painted yet):

I'm just not sure I like it as it feels so much different from the front. Our builder said it's because the dentals could only go against the house and not around the edge of the bumpout. But I'm thinking if there was another piece of trim under there the dentals could be attached to it and then go around the edge. Am I really off base here? I couldn't find pics of dentals on a bump out to show my builder, but just these with a partial overhang (and our plans which show that we wanted dentals on the bumpout:

So he says we'll meet to discuss the dentals further. I want to be armed with info supporting my cause. Any opinions on the matter?? Would another piece of white wood under the bumpout with dentals on it work out? Has anyone seen pics of something like this?

Thanks for any input :)
Shannon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help with dental moulding on exterior bump out... pics includ

I see what you're saying; you would like a skirting around the base of the bay, with a place to add short "dentils" (in this case they are simulating floor joist ends; they represent the structure of the house) both to the front and the sides.
That's not a bad request, but it may be a bit late to do that detail in a proper way so that it could be flashed and shed water in the right direction, etc.
As it is now it's not at all bad-looking. I think if they were somewhat larger/ more sturdy looking (like they could in actuality support the bumpout) it would be more readily understood by the eye.
Casey

o

I would think that a carpenter should be able to make everything look right with three pieces of 1x6 and a piece of whatever they are using to make the ceiling on your porch.

Here's what I would suggest. First, cut a piece of 1x6 the length of your bumpout minus about 6 to 8 inches. Then cut two more pieces of 1x6 the length of those four support braces minus however much "dentil molding" you want showing and minus the thickness of a piece of 1x6.

Now, cut four notches along one edge of the long piece of 1x6 so that the four support braces will fit INTO the notches. Put the three boards together like so:
Photobucket
Attach this structure to the bottom of the bumpout and tight against the house so that just the ends of the support braces stick out. Small L-brackets attached to the "inside" edges of the boards ahead of time will make it easier to attach the structure to the bottom of the bumpout. (Sorry but my drawing skills on PAINT aren't good enough to show the L-brackets but it should be obvious where they will need to go.)

Now, cut a piece of the material that was used on your porch ceiling so that it will fit INSIDE the structure. Attach this to the the bottoms of the supports so that they are hidden except for the parts that stick out thru the notches.

Now, the only portions of the supports that you'll be able to see will be the ends and, once everything is painted white, they should look like the dentils you have on the front of the house.

Because the entire structure is tucked UNDER the bumpout by 3 to 4 inches on all sides, all of the screw/nail holes will be protected from weather. Thus no flashing should be needed. Just caulk good where the structure butts up against the bottom of the bumpout and around the notches...mostly to keep bugs from crawing inside and using the hollow spaces as places to nest.

If you house is sided with Hardie, they should be able to do this with 1x5 Hardie trim boards instead of 1x6 wood although cutting the notches without splitting the fiber-cement will take a sharp saw and somebody with a little bit of real skill in working with Hardie.

Good luck.

o

Thank you so much for taking the time to draw this up bevangel! I'm going to print it out and take it to my builder. This sounds like a reasonable compromise for us. I had originally wanted the dentils to go around both sides too but I can deal with front only I guess :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here